SIDE MIRROR SELECTION?

smithbrother

I have not been pleased with my finding a pair of mirrors for my 1941 Limited. My biggest issues are the crank out vent windows obstructing/blurring the view, and the right mirror having enough adjustment to see what's along side or behind me to the right.

I am considering mounting high on the roof gutter rail, behind the vent window, thus getting away from the vent window view distortion.

Any comments or pictures of what works for you are MOST welcome.

Thanks,

Dale in Indy

The mirror you describe is commonly called a "PEEP" mirror. While convenient, they are generally rather small and give a very limited view in my opinion. Especially considering the passenger side, I would opt for a much larger mirror in the interest of safety.

The 1941 Limited does not have sidemounts so that option is out.

I would opt for the "KING-BEE" which I believe is the correct mirror for your car

If you google pictures of 1941 Buick's you get to look at dozens and dozens of such.

You also see that every car that has side mirrors , has them mounted to the roof drip rail at the front lower portion of the vent window. This means that the driver is seeing the vertical vent bar right in the middle of his/her view, NOT GOOD.

When the vent is cranked open distortion/blurred images are what is seen.

I was/am hoping someone has found a mounting spot that WORKS, there has to be SOMEONE.

Finding the right type/size mirror isn't my problem, it's where to mount It?

I don't/won't enjoy driving without a clear rear view, plain and simple, LIKE ME, SIMPLE.

Dale in Indy

I have mirrors on top of my '39 side mounts. I can see the mirrors fine but the passenger side will not turn enough to get a good shot beside the car. I was watching a Jay Leno video and his solution was small convex mirrors, with suction cups mounted on the back of them. He stuck them to the vent windows and adjusted the vent window to get the view he wanted. When you get to your destination, you just pop them off.

I found the mirrors (roughly 3" in diameter) at Wal-Mart and the suction cups at Hobby Lobby, bonded them together with silicon sealant. I stick them on the face of my side mount mirrors and I now have a good view of both sides.

Hagen MFG makes expensive arms and mirrors, LARGE too, and arms that are bent enough to allow you to see on the right, but where to mount away from the vent is my hope.

I like the mirror on the vent idea, but don't know how that will work in COLD country. LOL

Thank You,

Dale in Indy

I'm going to take a pair of mirrors, and make my own mounting hardware/bases.

I will attempt to use a more modern air flow mirror as my starting point, and will post build pictures as I proceed.

Thinking of mounting on the main door panel, just behind the vent window.

The right side will need to be tilted in a bit at the rear of the mount, allowing good view of the right side of the Buick, and still see traffic to the right, and rear. IMO

Dale in Indy