I should not have mentioned how little my Reatta cost me in 5 years for repairs

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

In the last two weeks I have had failures that will cost me more than I have had to spend in five years.

BCM fail, courtesy light fail, left rear speaker fail, wire harness passenger side by wheel well to front of

engine outer cover cracked and turned to dust large wire bundle exposed, I discovered that while checking battery, battery failed, four tires about to fail. I know tires are maintenance item, but with everything else $$$$ oh well, thanks to all for your help and advice.

Richard

BCM fail, courtesy light fail, left rear speaker fail, wire harness passenger side by wheel well to front of

engine outer cover cracked and turned to dust large wire bundle exposed, I discovered that while checking battery, battery failed, four tires about to fail.

Sounds about right for that vintage. Welcome to the club. :)

John F.

I'll second that. These cars are at an age where irrespective of how well maintained they have been, things are just wearing out. This will lead to clusters of part failures (that may not be inter-related except by age) that will probably be expensive to repair. Eventually, you will get past that stage after enough worn out parts are replaced.

That said, I'll take the need to deal with such repairs over new car loan, tax and insurance payments any day. Besides, there are no new(er) cars that really interest me enough to consider buying.

KDirk

Guest Ranger

When it rains.........btw, as long as it's time for repairs, if you haven't done it, it might be a good time to flush the coolant. Old coolant on a car that was new to me cost me the price pull the engine and replace all the frost plugs. Or you might want to jack up the radiator cap and slide a new car under it.

I lifted the hood today to take stock of what I have to do before the National in July. I discovered some leaking green goo from my ICM. Off to the Reatta Store to order a replacement before it acts up. I too have spent a bundle in the couple of years I have owned my Reatta. Things replaced include a new convertible top, a horn button, 4 struts and mounts, new front brakes, transmission flush and refill, new dogbone, fuel filter, antenna, 2 floor mats, an AC rebuild including compressor, condenser, drier, and R134A, Low pressure switch, 2 new front tires, a tie rod end, ABS flush and refill, replaced 3 freeze plugs (the easy ones), and finally, a coolant flush and refill. All this on a car with less than 100K miles. Do I regret it? Nope, I love this car and sooner or later the bleeding will stop. One either fixes everything or runs out of blood! These are all things that wear out and to have lasted 24 years so far I can't begrudge a little repair. The only thing I worry about are the weatherstrips on the top. When they go I don't know what I am going to do other than relegate the car to top down operation only.

Things I have done that aren't wear items include a rebuilt radio and CD player.

I lifted the hood today to take stock of what I have to do before the National in July. I discovered some leaking green goo from my ICM. Off to the Reatta Store to order a replacement before it acts up.
Thanks ol' yeller! I appreciate that.

Guest Richard D

You are all correct, when I think of how little a year of full coverage insurance with an agreed amount for a total loss, not having to send a check to a bank for a car loan these repairs are relatively small. I had forgotten about the cooling system flush and I am due for a brake fluid flush. I still get to drive a car that is unique, but still comfortable for a tiny fraction of what a new car would cost. I just was not thinking right. I am better now, plus I have the support of the best car forum on the web. There are way too many people to thank personally, Padgett, Ronnie, Jim Finn, Marck, Mc Reatta, Machiner 55, ol yeller, you do meet the nicest people on the Reatta forum*

Richard.

*thanks Honda America.

Guest Mc_Reatta

A lot of what you fellows are listing are normal routine maintenance procedures not repairs. What you are also forgetting, is what would a major scheduled service run on the Reatta replacement vehicle of your choice? A routine dealer major service for a high end vehicle can now hit 4 figures easily.