Hi. I'm new to the forum!

Guest cupcakejedi

Guest cupcakejedi

My name is Brittany :rolleyes: I'm buying a 60's Austin FX4 taxi. I may be asking lots of newbie questions because i'm new to this whole car restoration thing ;)

It is in pretty good condition. It needs rust repair and the engine ran ten years ago but the car has been parked ever since.

The hood is stuck so we haven't been able to look at the engine.

Is it a 12 volt or a 6 volt system?

Is the engine a diesel or a gas?

Does anyone have any recommendations to some parts websites? I have been having trouble finding information on the vehicle.

Thanks guys!

Hi Brittany- Welcome to the AACA Forum. Years ago, a friend of mine had this brilliant idea of importing a bunch of these cabs and using them to create a private "livery" or limousine service in NYC. The idea never really got off the ground-actually, it died a rapid death-but I had a few of these stored in my warehouse until he was able to get rid of them. I think all of the Austin cabs he imported had diesel engines, twelve volt electrical systems and automatic transmissions. Also, from memory, there were several parts sources in the UK where these still exist in large quantities. They are neat vehicles and certainly attracted a lot of attention when I drove them around. They are one of those iconic vehicles that everyone young and old can relate to. As worn out as they were, they always started and seem to run ok. I think they were very durable when new and were designed to take a lot of abuse. Good luck with your project, you'll have a lot of fun with it.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

Welcome Brittany. I don't know much about the FX4, but post your queries on here and I will try to sort them out for you. It will certainly be 12 volts, and if it dates from the early 'sixties I would expect it to have a petrol (gas!) engine; later models may well be diesel.

Hi Brittany,

You are certainly taking on an interesting project. Until you are able to get the hood open you won't know what engine is there as they had both diesel and petrol although more than likely it has a diesel. As for parts sites/information on the internet Google "Austin fx4 parts" and lots of sites should come up. Good luck with your project.