1950 Buick Gas Tank Sending Unit

Guest Joshhirst13

Guest Joshhirst13

Hey guys. Couple of questions on a sending unit for my 1950 Buick. I'm going to use a Bill Hirsch kit to get the tank cleaned up. As for the sending uniting having a hard time getting the old one out of the hole. Does it come apart. Also I was wondering what the best option to replace it would be. Do they make an after market one that will be more accurate & work better or should I just keep it simple & stay with one like the original. Thanks.

CARS, Inc. sells a reproduction sending unit, and I think Bob's Automobilia does also. You have to angle it around at funny angles to get it out of the hole, but it will come out in one piece. The swing arm may be rusted in place, so you have to be able to move the swing arm--just give it a gentle shove. There is a guy in California who advertises in Hemmings and he rebuilds them, but for virtually the same cost you can buy a new one from the two sources I mentioned.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Tx

1948 76-S

1948 56-S

1949 59 wagon

1949 51 sedan

1950 76-R

and others

I got one from Tanks, Inc. for my '51. It may very well be the same one the other guys sell. One complication with the new sender is it's just got a bubble flare on the tube end - no thread. So you have to adapt it (cut off the nut from the frame-mounted fuel line). Check the CARS & Bob's ones to see if they have a threaded fitting and report back.

An additional little complication with a new-style sender is when you connect the system back together with hose, the sender is then electrically isolated. The electrical ground for the level sender is through the fuel line, so I put additional worm clamps on the lines with a jumper wire in between.

I also went with a tank from Tanks, Inc. for the '51 because the original on the car was pinholed (not saveable). Got both of these items through a hotrod shop in the midwest somewhere - through an eBay listing offered with free shipping.