'30 CHRYSLER GREASE FITTING QUESION

Guest jimstulga

Guest jimstulga

I have a fully restored by previous owner '30 Chrysler C J and greased all the fittings but don't understand two on the rear axle. One by each of the rear wheels. I know the upper fittings by the wheels are for brake bleeding, but the two in question are located on the axle itself near each rear wheel. They both face the rear and do not have a ball top like other grease fittings. They are similar in size but somewhat flattened and I am unable to snap the grease gun on them. I tried to add a photo, but it keeps saying the file failed. Thanks for any help. Jim

Chryslers had fittings to grease the rear axle bearings up to 1952, possibly later, but I know my 52 had them. Another little nicety most car makers left off to save a few pennies. If you grease a bearing regularly, it will last forever but if you don't put on grease fittings you can save a nickel. Chrysler was never one to save a nickel where safety or good service was involved.

You can grease them when you grease the chassis, in the 30s that was every 1000 miles. But don't get too enthusiastic. 1/2 a pump on the grease gun is plenty. Too much grease can force its way past the seal and into the brakes.

Jim....those sound like they are the Alemite style grease fittings. They take a different style grease gun. They supply the grease to the axle bearings. If you send me the photos, I will post them here for you. John

keiser31@charter.net

If my reference is correct, the older style is officially a Zerk while the modern style is a Alemite Hydraulic fitting. http://www.ply33.com/Backmatter/LubricationFittings

I have a fully restored by previous owner '30 Chrysler C J and greased all the fittings but don't understand two on the rear axle. One by each of the rear wheels. I know the upper fittings by the wheels are for brake bleeding, but the two in question are located on the axle itself near each rear wheel. They both face the rear and do not have a ball top like other grease fittings. They are similar in size but somewhat flattened and I am unable to snap the grease gun on them. I tried to add a photo, but it keeps saying the file failed. Thanks for any help. Jim

First use of the modern style grease fitting for Plymouth and so I expect of other Chrysler built cars was 1934. All the fittings on your car should be the style that is on your rear axle.

That older style is also used on things like Model A Fords and you can get a different fitting/end for your grease gun to work better with it.

Be careful about over greasing the rear axle bearings. You certainly don't just put grease into the until it comes out somewhere, check your manual. On some later cars they replaced those grease fittings with plugs to make sure that the boys in the grease pit didn't overfill them when you did a regular chassis lube.

Personally, I've swapped out almost all the old style fittings on my car to make chassis lubrication a lot easier. I still have the old ones and if I ever get into a judged show where they know about such things I can put them back.

Guest jimstulga

Jim here again. Now I'm glad I was unable to add grease 'cause I'd have loaded it in without thought. So grateful for this site with it's helpful experts.

I took out the fitting and went to Ace Hardware to look for a nut to match the threads. Almost gave up, but found the threads are 1/8" PIPE threads, so now I have to find grease fittings for that size. I will then replace the originals as a reminder not to overload the next time. Who would have updated fittings for me? Napa? Autozone has nothing.

. . . Who would have updated fittings for me? Napa? Autozone has nothing.

I would have thought you'd find them in the Dorman cabinet at any better auto supply. . . Been a while since I needed one but I thought I'd seen some in my local auto supply not too long ago. If not there then they should be available at all the old car specialty web sites. But I'd probably go to my local Grainger first: http://www.grainger.com/search/grease-fittings/fittings/lubrication/ecatalog/N-9io?ta=t

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

Guest jimstulga

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll find them or just temporarily borrow one from another part of the car which I only just thought of. Like I said, I want to "highlight" these two fittings so I don't impulsively over grease them in the future. Wonder if the guy who restored the car was thinking the same thing? These are the only two Alemite ones on the car. Jim