How to replace tail light lens, 1941 Buick

Ken Carr

I have a nice tail light lens to replace the one on the right side of my 1941 Buick. I removed the tail light easily enough but the lens did not come out with it.

It appears that it is held in by a fragile frame of some sort.

What is the accepted procedure to get at the lens without breaking stuff? All the original 73-year old materials are still in place. I have attached some photos. Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

post-100312-143142468959_thumb.jpg

Photos: Tail Light, outside ; Tail Light inside, light body removed ; Replacement lens

post-100312-143142468941_thumb.jpg

post-100312-143142468951_thumb.jpg

Perhaps it is the rubber seal that has hardened around the lens...?

Mark,

There appears to be an inner metal frame and a seal as you said that is outermost. I pried on the seal just a bit and managed to break off a small piece. That's where I stopped. I'm thinking I may have to sacrifice the seal and install a new one in order to get at the lens?

Ken,

Yes, I believe you can get replacement seals from Bob's Automobilia.<i class="icon-left-circle"><i class="icon-right-circle"> <!--breadcrumbs_9-->

tl-41-173.jpg

<!--product_images_4776_update-->

<form name="product_form_4776" class="cm-disable-empty-files cm-ajax cm-ajax-full-render cm-ajax-status-middle cm-processed-form" action="http://bobsautomobilia.com/shop/" encType="multipart/form-data" method="post"><input name="result_ids" type="hidden" value="cart_status*,wish_list*,checkout*,account_info*"> <input name="redirect_url" type="hidden" value="index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=4776"> <input name="product_data[4776][product_id]" type="hidden" value="4776"> [h=1]Tailight To Fender Pads 1941 S.40-60 Coupes . TL-41-173[/h]

<!--old_price_update_4776--> <input name="appearance[show_price_values]" type="hidden" value="1"> <input name="appearance[show_price]" type="hidden" value="1"> $72.50 <!--price_update_4776-->

<input name="appearance[show_price_values]" type="hidden" value="1"> <input name="appearance[show_list_discount]" type="hidden" value="1"> <!--line_discount_update_4776-->

<input name="appearance[show_product_options]" type="hidden" value="1"> <input name="appearance[details_page]" type="hidden" value="1"> <input name="additional_info[info_type]" type="hidden" value="D"> <input name="additional_info[get_icon]" type="hidden" value="1"> <input name="additional_info[get_detailed]" type="hidden" value="1"> <input name="additional_info[get_additional]" type="hidden" value=""> <input name="additional_info[get_options]" type="hidden" value="1"> <input name="additional_info[get_discounts]" type="hidden" value="1"> <input name="additional_info[get_features]" type="hidden" value=""> <input name="additional_info[get_extra]" type="hidden" value=""> <input name="additional_info[get_taxed_prices]" type="hidden" value="1"> <input name="additional_info[get_for_one_product]" type="hidden" value="1"> <input name="additional_info[detailed_params]" type="hidden" value="1"> <input name="additional_info[features_display_on]" type="hidden" value="C">

<!--product_options_update_4776-->

<!--advanced_options_update_4776-->

<input name="appearance[show_sku]" type="hidden" value="1"> <label id="sku_4776">CODE:</label>TL-41-173

</form>

</i></i>