Number in radiator

Stutz in the UK

Does anyone have experiance of painting a (white) number into the radiator core of a honeycomb radiator - the car is 1917 and the radiator is painted black - the car is in 'working clothes' condition so I want the number to look like its always been there, not to look 'as' painted

What paint should I use and how should I go about this task please?

Thank you

My guess is, in 1917 they would have made a stencil of thin metal or cardboard. Then painted the number with oil base enamel and a brush. "stabbing" the paint brush into the rad with the brush nearly dry, in other words, not dripping with paint.

You could do the same thing and wait 20 years while it weathers to the right look.

Or use enamel paint, tint it to a dingy shade, and apply it very thin. In other words thin it out with reducer or mineral spirits and apply with a nearly dry brush to get the look of a thin, worn coat of paint.

Tremclad or Rustoleum enamel is an old fashioned paint that weathers and dulls quickly but wears for a long time. I would use it, or some cheap enamel to get the look you want. You could also use a flat or semi gloss paint. In any case it will take a while to age to the look you want but you should be able to get fairly close the first day.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I would do it with the template as Rusty said but would use a white enamel spray can (semi gloss?) and spray some areas lightly and some parts heavier to give it the worn, faded look or you could spray it all white and then overcoat it in some areas with gray.