1948 TOWN AND COUNTRY VIN #'S / Decode

Hello,

Looking for information explaining T&C vin #'s How do I tell if it is a 48? Is there anything in the number that signifies convertible? Should it start with C39?? How many numbers should I look for and where? Is the body # different than Chassis number

Thanks

In that era the passenger vehicles from Chrysler Corporation had a serial number tag on the front driver's door hinge post. All numbers, no letters (they sometimes used a I to indicate a 1). Serial numbers were done in ranges for each assembly plant and for each engineering code. So you can tell from the number where it was built and get a rough idea of how far through the model year your car was built. Serial numbers are also what Chrysler tracked it by and you can use that number to get a copy of the build tag from Chrysler Historical which will tell you things like the paint and trim codes, accessories it was shipped with, etc. Information varies by year and for some years they can no longer decode all the information, price for the build card varies based on how much they can decode for you. I have a serial number "decoder" (actually table look up for your year) which can tell you the plant and typical specifications at http://www.ply33.com/Misc/vin

Information about getting a copy of the build card can be found at http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/company/Heritage/Pages/Build-Records.aspx

You should also have an engine number on the engine and probably stamped on the frame somewhere (location on frame varies from year to year and model to model so I don't know where it would be on your car). Many states used the engine number to track the car for registration. Engine numbers started with the engineering code for the vehicle so Chryslers started with a C (Plymouth with a P, Dodge with a D, DeSoto with an S). From your post I assume you have a C39 so your engine number probably starts with that.

Finally, there should be a body number tag on the firewall. The sequences on these seemed to vary from model to model and even on one model from one body style to the next depending on who built the body.

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

If you have the drivers- not passenger side hinge pillar serial #(vin) I can tell you what year and possibly who has owned it last-if it is a T&C chrysler..

C39N=eight cylinder NewYorker or Town and Country car.

C39-...... is the beginning of the engine numbler which will match the same # stamped on the rear of the drivers side of the frame just forward of the bumper bracket.

The 3"X5" Firewall data plate will tell all options ect on your car and body model.

Bob

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

If you have the drivers- not passenger side hinge pillar serial #(vin) I can tell you what year and possibly who has owned it last-if it is a T&C chrysler..

C39N=eight cylinder NewYorker or Town and Country car.

C39-...... is the beginning of the engine numbler which will match the same # stamped on the rear of the drivers side of the frame just forward of the bumper bracket.

The 3"X5" Firewall data plate will tell all options ect on your car and body model.

Bob

Oooops...yes...the DRIVER's side. Sorry about the brain lapse.

C39N =eight cylinder NewYorker or Town and Country car.

C39 is the beginning of the engine numbler which will match the same # stamped on the rear of the drivers side of the frame just forward of the bumper bracket.

The 3"X4" Firewall data plate will tell all options ect on your car and body model.

Post a pic of the Firewall Data plate and I will decipher it for you if you post it today-I will be gone to AZ tomorrow.

Bob

• 5 years later...
2 hours ago, Tomas Noren said:

I Have a 1948 Windsor Highlander conv

And I only have one Tag on the fire wall that says Body Number 544 10642

And the VIN tag on the left door pillar 70683774

I guess I can`t use this to get color code and so on .

Tomas

No, the serial number does not contain encoded paint or trim information. This is what you can tell from it:

Serial Number 70683774
Found in range 70633017 to 70717748
Serial 50758 of 84732
Year 1948
Make Chrysler
Model Name Windsor
Model Code C38W

I don't know the current state of affairs, but you used to be able to pay the Chrysler Historical Collection to get a copy of the "build card" for your vehicle and that had a bit more information. For my 1933 it showed the paint and trim codes, the dealer the car was shipped to, etc. I think the ones from the late 1940s had a lot more information. It might be worth trying to contact the Historical Collection to see if they still exist and can provide that service. My last contact information for them was:

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
Historical Services
12501 Chrysler Freeway
CIMS 410-11-21
Detroit, MI 48288 USA

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
44 minutes ago, Pcmhomes said:

I have a 47 Windsor does any one know where the original engine block number is stamped on the frame?  Also does anyone know where to purchase body parts from.  Thank you!

I believe that for that year Plymouth the engine number is stamped on the driver’s (left) side of the frame around the kick up for the rear axle. Given the way Chrysler did things it wouldn’t surprise me if thst is where you’ll find it on your car.

41 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Why would the engine number be stamped on the frame?

Chrysler Corporation did that for a lot of years.