1928 Chrysler 58 sedan

Guest ybshore

Guest ybshore

I have the opportunity to pick up a very clean mechanically but tattered interior-ly 1926 58 sedan. What do the members think of the car in terms of reliability, rideability, etc. Oldest car I've owned is a '55 New Yorker Deluxe. Based on his description and the groups knowledge, what is this ol'girl really worth? THX.

From the owner: About the car, roughly 90 percent original, only missing a few window crank handles, one repaint about 50 years ago; interior is all there but tattered, floorboards are original and mint, including under rear seat where BUDD BODIES is stamped in, looks brand new. Small amount of rust in very edge of tail pan cowl panel. Underneath of car is excellent, frame is mint, no rust or scale. Running driving last year. Always stored in garage. This winter flushed gas tank and sealed, rebuilt vacuum fuel pump, rebuilt original megaphone horn, rebuilt- polished carb, flushed motor, new oil pan gasket, new points, plugs, wires, etc... Haven't had time to install rebuilt parts. Avid reader of Hemmings Motor News, haven't seen one for sale in 5 years of reading . So I think pretty rare? Also in this condition

Edited by ybshore (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

If memory serves me, a 1928 Chrysler 6 should be a model 62. Model 58 is year 1926. Also, a bit of information for anyone having clutch problems. I have a 1927 model 60 on which the clutch plate was actually broken in half. I found that by counter boring and counter sinking the flywheel bolts, that a 1940 Ford clutch plate fits very well. Same spline, same diameter. The Chrysler might be a bit ashamed to have a Ford part, but it works!

The Chrysler 58 is a four cylinder model and was built for only one year, 1926. It was replaced by the new small six cylinder Model 60 for 1927. The 58 evolved out of the Maxwell (the engine dates back to about 1916) and ultimately evolved into the Plymouth. For 1927 and 1928 they made the four cylinder engine a bit smaller, put it on a 3 inch shorter chassis and called it the 50 (52 for 1928). In mid 1928 it went back to 109" chassis and became the Plymouth.