Mirrors

Guest 53 Roady

Guest 53 Roady

I have a pair of very nice chrome and stainless side mirrors. But. The glass is gone. Probably sent out for re silver in the late 1980s. They are 4 1/2 inches across the stainless. I checked with Bob and he is between suppliers. His were 4 inches. Does anyone reglaze these? I also checked with Ron (advertized in Hemmings) but he resilvers. I also don't know how to pop in a lens without harm to it or the case. I don't back up well anyway. Please advise.

Pat

Guest 53 Roady

Thank You

I would love to try a pair and will remit postage. My stainless cups are 4.5 outside but the rolled edge leaves an opening few thousandths under 4 and 1/4. Do I just try to wiggle/pop them in? My email is patmcclelland@gmail.com., Send me your address and I'll send $.

Pat

The factory crimped them in. Without seeing your mirror I couldn't say. if your glass is still there some guys are able to glue a new on top with silicone glue. In any case I think they need to ship in one of those if it fits it ships boxes or they will get broken for sure. I think postage for them is a flat $5. If you want to try cardboards and a padded envelope for a couple bucks less I'll do that but it doesn't sound like a good idea. I'll send you 4 of them so if you break one or two it won't matter. Let me know how you want me to send them and I'll need your address. EMail me direct at bhigdog1@ptd.net...................Bob

Guest 53 Roady

I got your mirrors and they are going to be fine. The mirror drops into the cup but does not drop out readily. In other words a good fit. It is mysterious that my cups show no sign of glass removal. I tried a 4 x 4 1/4 x 1/8 O ring as a retainer; not quite. I am going to look for a 4 1/4 x 4 3/8 x 1/16 O ring. Or I could use the black goo that glass shops use which doesn't eat the silvering. Or I may silicone the outer edge. Anybody done this?

Thanks again Bob

Pat