64 on Mad Men

petelempert

If anybody caught the season opener for the AMC series Mad Men this Sunday, you got a nice lingering shot of a 64. It takes place in the jet-setting late sixties. Basically, ad exec Don Draper waltzes off a jetliner at LAX into the waiting arms of his dreamy and groovy looking wife. She is picking him up outside the terminal in an Austin Healy. Parked behind the Healy is a 64. It's a long frontal shot of the Riv while Don and his wife kiss, then get into the Healy. Technically, the 64 would have been a slightly used car at this point in time. It doesn't matter because the Riv looks so right in that scenario. Frankly, it makes the Healy look like a buggy. The producer is famous for being a stickler about wardrobe, make-up and props that are period correct. I'm telling you guys, Rivs are starting to get the attention they deserve. The whole Rat Pack, 60's swank is 100% Riviera. Being on Mad Men is important. That series almost single handedly created a resurgence in closely-tailored mens suits. On Mad Men, a modified Riv won the Ridler, Automobile Magazine's Top 100 designs, I firmly believe our car is coming into it's stride in the collector world. Well deserved. PRL

• Like 3

Guest Marcisdave

Yep. Caught that season opener and seen that nice lookin 1st gen behind Don and his wife. Could not tell whether or not it was a 63 or 64, but it got some TV time for sure.

Another thing I noticed, but will have to play it back again "On Demand", just as the airport scene fades out into the next scene.....a late 60s Mustang can be seen cruising by. For a fleeting moment....it looked like that Mustang had current era type 17 or 18" aftermarket wheels on it. I will have to replay that and see for sure.

And one other item.......a 4 or 5 minute cameo appearance by the super deluxe hottie Neve Campbell (she played the airline passenger cozying up to Don Draper on the red eye back to NY). Always thought she was extremely attractive.....in a girl next door sort of way. Had not seen her on the big or small screen in quite a while.

Guest Marcisdave

Okay. Took a gander at that airport scene again. Just as Don's wife is sitting down in the Austin Healy, in the background is an aqua or light blue 60s Mustang cruisin by. It has 17" or 18" aftermarket modern era wheels w low profile blackwall tires. Certainly not correct for the time period in which this series is set in, but something a Hollywood type could/would easily overlook. The camera is just on it for a second.

Also of note is the Buick Sportwagon ? (not exactly sure I got that model name correct) that cruises by just before the Mustang.

Is it just me or did that Riviera have an aftermarket type Bar grill in it?

Double memories. Besides my Rivieras, I had a 1957 Austin Healey 100-6. The one in the video is a later model one, it's a convertible not a roadster.

Differences? Convertible: wrap around windscreen, wing vent windows, roll up door windows, top folds down into a boot. Roadster: Flat wind screen, no vent windows, bolt on side curtains (stored in a bag in the trunk - you're wet before you get them on then the rain has already stopped.) The top is stored under the rear shelf and has to be snapped in place at the rear before latching it to the windscreen. More fun than a barrel of monkeys. You sit so low you dodge everything. With no angle to the road, you can't tell a patch from a pot-hole. Able to negotiate under parked semi-trailers instead of going around the block to get to your destination.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

(Waking up a sleeping thread)

I am re-watching "Mad Men" right now and I saw this episode last night. I was pretty excited to see this Riviera as I have been watching the old cars to see if the producers used any Riv's in the show. Now I know.

The quality of the cars used on the show seemed to be excellent, even the 'grocery getter' station wagons that were used on the show.

Don's '62 Cadillac had me drooling for a short period of time.

The Don's ’65 Cadillac Coupe DeVille is also an awesome car. I spotted a 2015 article that stated the car was being auctioned off along with other 'Mad Men' memorabilia. It sold for +$48K. I wish my car could be used in a TV series... (sigh)-_-

Edited by Fayetteville, NC (see edit history)