A very special day

Guest Dodgy35

Guest Dodgy35

Yep thats right,and you Americans will know it,today is a biggy,17th of April ?,the 50th birthday of a fine american auto "The FORD MUSTANG",on this day god gave us awesome things,oh **** yeah its my 50th also,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FORD MUSTANG,and happy birthday me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Enjoy

Edited by Dodgy35
innebriated (see edit history)

Hard to believe its been 50 years. I remember seeing one of the first Mustangs and thought it was really cool. It sure changed the auto landscape and the direction of small performance cars. I never owned one as as I was a bowtie fan and bought a Camaro when I finally had the $$$ to do so.

Terry

Guest prs519

True or false? It would be much more difficult for people to afford to buy a new Mustang today, than it was for people buyling a very similar car, for most practical purposes, in 1965 (ceteris paribus). Also, why do manufacturers take a good thing with a fine market share, then change it ever more radically, till they ruin that market standing? Let no good design go unpunished? This has happened with many fine cars that I would buy to this day, were they avaiilble at an equivalent price! This particularly, if you allowed me the two updates of fuel injection and disc brakes, which are better, yet more cost-effective.

64 1/2 Mustang. My first new car. I was 2 years out of high school and had a job in a L.A. hospital. I ordered the car from Wray Bros. Ford on Van Nuys Blvd. It took weeks for it to be delivered. Bronze convertible with a black interior, 260 ci V8, three speed manual. It arrived with a few thunderbird parts (door lock buttons, etc.). Ford couldn't build them fast enough to meet the demand. I loved that car! Got drafted, left the car with the family while I did my time and returned to find it pretty much messed up. Traded it in on a Triumph Spitfire (biggest car-buying mistake of my life). 50 years... how time flies.

Guest AlCapone
Where is the fanfare from Chrysler on the 50th anniversary of the Barracuda? It was introduced about a week prior to the Mustang.[/

In my opinion the Barracuda never ever garnered the respect and admiration that the Mustang did ! It was just another sporty car that never really caught on in my humble opinion. Nice car but not spectacular by any means ! Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

Nor has the Barracuda been in continuous production like the Mustang has.

I don't get "fan fare" for anniversaries. If the car is deserving of accolades at 50, why not 51... or 49. It's just a number. Same reason I dislike "top ten" lists. If there's something important about #11, it gets left off because of what?... a number??? Doesn't make sense to me.

Alright. I'll get off my carmudgeon box and shut up.

I tried out the first Mustang Convertible that came to Covington, VA. It was nice but needed a bit more oomph. I was interested in ordering a 289 high-performance, 4 speed convertible but one look in the trunk told me it would never work for a single man that liked to travel and take half his belongings with him so I kept my '63 Galaxie 500 XL Sunliner a while longer. Today I was feeling pretty good about my first grandchild being born on the 50th anniversary of Mustang but logged on here to find Dodgy35 had played some oneupmanship and deflated my bubble. I'm still glad my grandson was born on the Mustang 50th anniversary.

Where is the fanfare from Chrysler on the 50th anniversary of the Barracuda? It was introduced about a week prior to the Mustang.[/

In my opinion the Barracuda never ever garnered the respect and admiration that the Mustang did ! It was just another sporty car that never really caught on in my humble opinion. Nice car but not spectacular by any means ! Wayne

I agree. I was being a bit facetious.

Nor has the Barracuda been in continuous production like the Mustang has.

I don't get "fan fare" for anniversaries. If the car is deserving of accolades at 50, why not 51... or 49. It's just a number. Same reason I dislike "top ten" lists. If there's something important about #11, it gets left off because of what?... a number??? Doesn't make sense to me.

Alright. I'll get off my carmudgeon box and shut up.

Looks like the ones who purchased a 2005 Ford Thunderbird 50th Anniversary Edition are going to be in for a surprise!