1935 Hupmobile 527T

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I might have some bezels for you. I will see how many extras I have. Ed.

Yep, that's the one. Owner shipped some items to be rechromed and had the audacity to kick the bucket before he picked them up ;-( I've just filled out the club application to join and hopefully find some replacements somewhere, somehow.

Yep, that's the one. Owner shipped some items to be rechromed and had the audacity to kick the bucket before he picked them up ;-( I've just filled out the club application to join and hopefully find some replacements somewhere, somehow.

I also have a lead on a parts car. I will let you know what comes of it. Are the bezels and bumpers all you need? I have been looking for the left front bumper for a couple years already. My spare tire cover is incorrect, and I need an air cleaner also. If you have an air cleaner I would appreciate a picture, and possibly some measurements. These parts are hard to come by.

Ed

Do you have any bumper guards?

No, sorry.

Inasmuch as I've only had physical possession of the car for about 4 hours, I cannot say categorically that this car (527T) didn't come with bumper guards...at least I haven't seen any on pics I've found on the ol google machine. Steve

I need F/R bumpers, bezels, hubcaps, and now thanks to you an air cleaner :-) I've only had physical possession of car for about 4 hours. When I went out to take a picture for you, I discovered that I don't have one either (so if you find one, perhaps you might run into two?). And yes, the parts are definitely hard to come by. I just read an article that says Hupp hardly sold a one in 1935 and actually shut down their plants in that year, then sold the ones they had built in 1936-37. So I can imagine they didn't produce many extra parts, if any. I have a '58 Rolls Royce and I bet I could build several cars just from the new parts that are languishing on shelves somewhere. I purchased two brand new, still in the box fenders (wings) a few years ago, and the guy I talked to didn't bat an eye when I asked. Go figure...

No, sorry.

Inasmuch as I've only had physical possession of the car for about 4 hours, I cannot say categorically that this car (527T) didn't come with bumper guards...at least I haven't seen any on pics I've found on the ol google machine. Steve

post-100293-143142504049_thumb.jpg upon further thought, what model do you need them for? I looked at other images, Hupmobile ads, etc., and see that bumper guards were on some models (518, etc.) Long story short...since mine is a 527T I don't have bumper guards. Steve

I need F/R bumpers, bezels, hubcaps, and now thanks to you an air cleaner :-) I've only had physical possession of car for about 4 hours. When I went out to take a picture for you, I discovered that I don't have one either (so if you find one, perhaps you might run into two?). And yes, the parts are definitely hard to come by. I just read an article that says Hupp hardly sold a one in 1935 and actually shut down their plants in that year, then sold the ones they had built in 1936-37. So I can imagine they didn't produce many extra parts, if any. I have a '58 Rolls Royce and I bet I could build several cars just from the new parts that are languishing on shelves somewhere. I purchased two brand new, still in the box fenders (wings) a few years ago, and the guy I talked to didn't bat an eye when I asked. Go figure...

To bad about your air cleaner. When I bought mine the previous owner said it was 100% complete under the hood. Then after I bought it said the air cleaner was missing and that he thought his son threw it out when they cleaned up!! They are very hard to find. The airflows used a similar air cleaner, I have a 35 C2 also. I think the 34 airflow might have been the one I saw that looked the same. I think they may be longer though.

I have not been able to go look at that potential parts car yet, but the owner said she thought it had the three piece windshield, which would make it a T or J. I did followed up another lead and find another headlight bucket reflector and bezel. I now have four bezels, but they all need a bit of work. I will let you know what extras I have after I go take a look at that other car.

Happy hunting, Ed

To bad about your air cleaner. When I bought mine the previous owner said it was 100% complete under the hood. Then after I bought it said the air cleaner was missing and that he thought his son threw it out when they cleaned up!! They are very hard to find. The airflows used a similar air cleaner, I have a 35 C2 also. I think the 34 airflow might have been the one I saw that looked the same. I think they may be longer though.

I have not been able to go look at that potential parts car yet, but the owner said she thought it had the three piece windshield, which would make it a T or J. I did followed up another lead and find another headlight bucket reflector and bezel. I now have four bezels, but they all need a bit of work. I will let you know what extras I have after I go take a look at that other car.

Happy hunting, Ed

WOW, at least a ghost of a lead! I'm starting to look for suitable substitutes (34 Ford bumpers, some other air cleaner although I've heard it was really not an air cleaner...no filter material inside...just an airflow thing) At least that will help me get it up and running and passing the state safety inspection. The other stuff can wait.

Thanks for your effort! I look forward to good results. Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Have you seen that other car? Would you be interesting in parting ways with a couple of the bezels you have?

The other car was a bust. I called the owner back after they went and took a look at it. The front end is gone, and one side is apparently caved in. There is another car I want to go look at out there, so I will check out the remains when I am out there, but it may not be for a while.

I am not ready to part with any bezels until I have had time to repair a set for my car. I am busy on another job and may not get at them for a while, so you will have to check back.

Any luck finding anything else?

Cheers, Ed.

PS I might know where there is a right half of the front bumper.

The other car was a bust. I called the owner back after they went and took a look at it. The front end is gone, and one side is apparently caved in. There is another car I want to go look at out there, so I will check out the remains when I am out there, but it may not be for a while.

I am not ready to part with any bezels until I have had time to repair a set for my car. I am busy on another job and may not get at them for a while, so you will have to check back.

Any luck finding anything else?

Cheers, Ed.

PS I might know where there is a right half of the front bumper.

Thanks for the update. I haven't been able to find anything either...MAN, parts are scarce! I'm also checking overseas, inasmuch as mine is a right hand drive made for Australia originally. Apparently, a lot of cars were sold there due to Hupp's reputation for reliability and endurance. I'm in the process of joining their club. Hopefully it will be a fruitful resource. I also trying to find out the best shows/meets/sales, like Hershey. If I find any Hupmobile parts, I may scarf up any and all and go into business for myself ;-)

Have you ever thought about having the headlight bezels cast,

or reproduced on a 3-D printer, from excellent originals which a

club member might lend you?

I'm not an expert on such a topic, but I thought my two cents might help---

two very good ideas...wouldn't have thought of either myself. I will definitely look into them! Thanks, Steve.

To whoever needs 427 or 527 bezels, ideally I would do a trade for the left half of the front bumper if anyone has an extra.

I also have an extra NOS instrument cluster if anyone is interested.

Cheers, Ed

Another member came up with a couple of good ideas...3D print the bezels (not too familiar with what can be done with this process, e.g. plastic or metal too?). Another idea, get a good bezel and make a mold to make more and more and more bezels....cast in some kind of metal (more familiar with this process as I'm a sculptor and have done this a few times in bronze). In any case, could you possibly send me a bezel (on loan only), so I can try these two techniques to see if I can get something worth putting on a car?

could also work with the bumpers, albeit the size makes it more of a challenge, but casting new parts is certainly doable.

Another member came up with a couple of good ideas...3D print the bezels (not too familiar with what can be done with this process, e.g. plastic or metal too?). Another idea, get a good bezel and make a mold to make more and more and more bezels....cast in some kind of metal (more familiar with this process as I'm a sculptor and have done this a few times in bronze). In any case, could you possibly send me a bezel (on loan only), so I can try these two techniques to see if I can get something worth putting on a car?

could also work with the bumpers, albeit the size makes it more of a challenge, but casting new parts is certainly doable.

I don't think casting would work. The originals are thin stainless steel and are stamped I believe. A cast piece would either be to weak, or to thick to fit. I don't know about the 3d printing though. It could not be plated though??? The bumper I could make from steel, but it would be labor intensive, and I am not ready for it yet anyway. So I will keep on looking. None of my bezels are good enough to copy, and I can't do anything on them for a while. I may know one fellow who may have another bezel, I will ask for you. I got two from him, and I'm not sure if he has any more. I think he might have an extra right side of the front bumper. I forgot since it is the left I need.

I will let you know what I find out, Ed.

enjoy the conversation. As for casting, I wouldn't be looking to make absolutely down to the micrometer replicas, just something that would look fairly good to get folks by as a temporary stopgap. However, you make some good points, particularly re: type of metal. Then of course is the issue of tinsel strength....for sure would want something that would actually behave like a bumper.

As for the plastic parts, I have found quite a few chrome shops that say they chrome plastic. Haven't looked into the details. As for your bezels, I think any in reasonable dimensional shape would work as something to model via cad-cam or whatever is used to create the file. Pits and other minor irregularities are not an issue.

I have just purchased 4 "reasonably good condition" hubcaps, so I might use one as a test for replication via 3D, just to see how (if) it works.

Of course, would be interested in either side of the front bumper. If you have a point of contact, I would be in your debt (a beer perhaps?). Steve

enjoy the conversation. As for casting, I wouldn't be looking to make absolutely down to the micrometer replicas, just something that would look fairly good to get folks by as a temporary stopgap. However, you make some good points, particularly re: type of metal. Then of course is the issue of tinsel strength....for sure would want something that would actually behave like a bumper.

As for the plastic parts, I have found quite a few chrome shops that say they chrome plastic. Haven't looked into the details. As for your bezels, I think any in reasonable dimensional shape would work as something to model via cad-cam or whatever is used to create the file. Pits and other minor irregularities are not an issue.

I have just purchased 4 "reasonably good condition" hubcaps, so I might use one as a test for replication via 3D, just to see how (if) it works.

Of course, would be interested in either side of the front bumper. If you have a point of contact, I would be in your debt (a beer perhaps?). Steve

Steve, I sent you a private message with that contact info. Ed

Guest kenbenn
To whoever needs 427 or 527 bezels, ideally I would do a trade for the left half of the front bumper if anyone has an extra.

I also have an extra NOS instrument cluster if anyone is interested.

Cheers, Ed

edk, do you still have the instrument cluster?

if so what is the asking price?

edk, do you still have the instrument cluster?

if so what is the asking price?

I guess you don't have a left front bumper then? It would be $400 w/o a trade

Guest kenbenn

e

I guess you don't have a left front bumper then? It would be $400 w/o a trade

Ed, just aquired front bumpers for my 34 coupe.one side broken piece missing other side gussett

welded on beck, will probably keep and refurbish.Probably too costly to ship from Australia

Could you send a photo of gauges

Regards Ken

e

Ed, just aquired front bumpers for my 34 coupe.one side broken piece missing other side gussett

welded on beck, will probably keep and refurbish.Probably too costly to ship from Australia

Could you send a photo of gauges

Regards Ken

Hi Ken,

I will take some pictures when I go out to my shop today. Is your car the 34 J that was auctioned fairly recently? I would really like a coupe, but they are sure hard to come by, you are lucky to have it! Did you not have bumpers either ,and just got some, or did you have some and find better ones? Even if you have a rough spare, I would consider it. I will try send the pictures tonight.

Ed

Guest kenbenn

HI Ed,

Yes it probably is the same car.Purchased car march 2012, in the process of complete resto.body and chassis at the paint

strippers and trying to source parts.Yes have just bought front bumpers manifold set, warner overdrive gearbox and a few other bits.I had rear bumper minus bracket I will look out for bumper for you but would be even scarcer douw under!

Rgards Ken

post-79609-143142542645_thumb.jpg

Hi Ken,

It even came wrapped in brown paper which I did not keep. The beige line you can see inside both gauges is the cork gasket which has shrunk, The speedo even turn fairly easily with a small screrw driver, and will make the needle bounce.

Sounds like you have been busy hunting parts, and had some success! What else do you need?

post-79609-143142542584_thumb.jpg

post-79609-143142542617_thumb.jpg

Guest kenbenn

Hi Ed,

i need quite a few parts for the Hup. Radiator badges, bonnet emblem ( waterfall/ zeppelin ) bonnet stay arms,

accelerator pedal, door lock mechanism.door key lock.Headlight lenses.

i may have some hub caps to spare.

I received the photos re the gauges , but with the shipping costs and converting amp and fuel gauge (12 v/ positive earth)

is a bit expensive. Any chance you could lower the price?

regards,

Ken