1963 Exhuast manifold bolts?

Guest mtn

I am looking for a source for a set of exhaust manifold bolts for a 1963. I am not sure where to begin looking any help would be appreciated. Also are you guys putting a bit of lock-tite on yours when installing?

Thanks

use anti-seize on the bolts

Do you have one or two good bolts that you can match up? I have had very good luck at my local Ace Hardware matching up bolts and having a good selection of higher grade ones from which to choose. And yes, +1 to anti-seize compounds - just choose carefully since there now are several kinds of compounds offered, depending on application. Maybe it's all marketing BS - not sure. But as an example, I just had my trusted mechanic break both thermostat housing bolts on my water manifold - and that was after soaking the assembly in penetrating oil for 72 hours AND heating them up! So anti-seize is cheap insurance! Still, we managed to rescue the original manifold. Plus he figured that thermostat served the 401 well for more than 30 years - testament to higher quality parts of yesteryear and not the Made in China crap that we have to be careful of today.

The bolts should be 3/8ths course thread. Use the manifold as a gauge as to length as they vary in length. The originals had a metal locking tab that is bent against the flat of the head of the bolt. I believe Cars sells these? If not, use a high quality lock washer.

I have never had a problem with exhaust manifold bolts seizing in a nailhead as opposed to the later generation which is noted for broken manifold bolts. But some neverseize cant hurt. The problem I have encountered is that the bolt head shrinks in size from repeated heating and cooling cycles. At that point a metric socket and a hammer come in handy...or as a last resort, vice grips. Good luck,

Tom Mooney