Water Manifold Question on a '63 Riv 401

JanZverina

OK, in addition to my thermostat questions, can someone tell me if it's OK to remove the water manifold bolts at the front of the engine to remove the massive alternator and power steering brackets so I can properly clean and refinish them? Are those bolts prone to breakage (like the aluminum thermostat housing) and are there gaskets or O-rings that need to be replaced if I remove them to take off said brackets? I looked in the shop manual but I don't see a clear answer on removal/installation.

Thanks!

OK, in addition to my thermostat questions, can someone tell me if it's OK to remove the water manifold bolts at the front of the engine to remove the massive alternator and power steering brackets so I can properly clean and refinish them? Are those bolts prone to breakage (like the aluminum thermostat housing) and are there gaskets or O-rings that need to be replaced if I remove them to take off said brackets? I looked in the shop manual but I don't see a clear answer on removal/installation.

Thanks!

It is OK to remove the 4 bolts. They are no more prone to breaking than any other 50 year old bolts on the car. :D

Between the manifold and the heads is a paper gasket. They are readily available. Get new ones and spray with copper coat gasket spray before installing.

Between the manifold and the waterpump is an o-ring. A new one comes with the 2 paper gaskets above. Lubricate it lightly with some vaseline so that the parts all fit together without damaging the o-ring.

It is that simple. :cool: