Reatta horns

raleets

My incredible wife bought me an '89 coupe for Father's Day last year to be used as my daily driver. It needed lots of TLC, but the price was right.

One of the issues was the punky horn. I said "horn", singular, because only one of them worked and it was worse than any of those little "toot toot" rice-burners that you've ever heard. It was actually embarrassing!

Anyway, I bought a set (high & low) horns via the Reatta Store thru Amazon. They arrived quickly and I installed them today. WOW! WOW! What a blast. They sound every bit as good as the horns on my '91 'vert with 22K.

Nice and LOUD......great tone, and they sound like a BUICK horn should sound. Get the hell out of my way!

If you need new horns, you won't be disappointed.

Bob

I have air horns on my cars (3 trumpet) one car recently went in for inspection and the guy said he was passing it but it might be considered TOO loud. When is Texas is anything too loud? He suggested next year I should disconnect it before coming in for inspection.

Have a triple air horn setup I intend to put on one of the cars. If you want a nice "stockish" upgrade, find a late 80's to mid 90's Cadillac in a yard with the four note horn setup. Usually mounted two under each front fender.

This was an option on the Deville, Eldorado, Fleetwood and Seville for many years. For those with basic musical knowledge, the 4 notes were A, C, D & E. Two were low notes and two were high. A pretty strong horn setup for sure. I put this on my 91 coupe.

KDirk

I had the four note horns on both a 99 Eldorado ETC and an 85 Riviera I used to own. Both were factory installed options. They sounded great...would startle intended victims... miss those. Thanks folks for bringing up the subject...think I'll look for some for the Reatta or Riviera next time I'm at the local pick n' pull.

I have a triple set I bought from HF. I plug one outlet and just use the two shorter trumpets. This produces a really shrill sound like the early FIAMMs.

ps a Fiero horn bracket is great for mounting air horns

pps why do I need to refresh before I can edit ?

The four note Cadillac horns are A,C,D,and F. There is no E note, I don't think. I just pulled a set off an '98 DeVille this afternoon. The A note horn was dead. I will often pull Caddy and Buick horns, especially if they're four note. The regular horn setup for GM (with that good old fashioned GM horn sound) are A and F note, but almost always the A note horn is shot. The F note never is. Why?

BTW, what is the trim tag code for four note?

Harry,

Yes, stupid typo on my part (posted from phone on this micro touch "keyboard") E should have been F. I need to look at the RPO tag on my Deville and see if I can pick out the code. Will post if I can find it, unless someone else does first.

Would add that each horn has its note embossed in the face just behind the "bell" of the horn. I'm assuming this is true of all model years. I know from at least 1990-95 were like this. I didn't know Buick offered 4 note horns as well. Perhaps some Oldsmobile models were also equipped.

KDirk

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)