36-39 Zephyr hood catch assy repair

Guest Jim Zephyr

Guest Jim Zephyr

Need some advice from anyone who has fixed one of these, or can tell me what kind of steel

I need for this repair. Mine is broke in two places and requires replacement. I imagine this

needs to be heat treated after bending? anyone have a used one for sale or some advice

as to how to fix? These are the same 36 thru 39 L-Z. Pictures shown are of Vince Dornan's

1938 Lincoln-Zephyr. This is what I want to end up with...

post-67972-143142466835_thumb.jpg

post-67972-14314246683_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim Zephyr (see edit history)

Guest Jim Zephyr

thanks, its the rod that does the catch work, not sure how to bend this and keep it that way. My rod is broken at both ends so need to start with some new steel. Heat treated after? or just when bending? Need solid advice, I want to do it right the first time.

Here's how I'd do it. The latching rod is going to have to be built/bent. A good piece of round bar steel of the same size should do the trick. As you have the old piece as a pattern and have a torch capable of heating it orange hot, you can remake it. If you feel the need to harden it then after you have it made get it orange hot and drop it in a metal pan with old oil and it will case harden it. The clips that hold it on look to be held on with tabs thought slots cut in the plate. Bent the tabs up, insert the new piece and hammer them down again. I will look at mine tomorrow to make sure I'm right as to how it is assembled.

Guest Jim Zephyr

Tried to find the steel rod to do this - 1/4 inch is to big and 3/16 is too small. Is there a size in between that is available? Still interested in making a new one. In the meantime, took a latch off a 1940 Zephyr hood - the tangs are pointed inward, heated them up and bent them outward without breakage. Presto, a 1936-39 style hood latch! Works well, finally able to hold hood down solidly and will be able to hit the open road at speed...

You can get a number of different sizes of drill rod between 1/4" and 3/16" from "McMaster-Carr" in Atlanta in one foot pieces. Am unsure that's the way I would go. I think I would just try to turn down the 1/4" rod. As I don't have a lathe I just chuck the rod up in a drill motor and use emery cloth. It's most likely 7/32", thank old Henry for that, so you don't have to remove very much material.