Allstate 6.00-16 4ply tires

Guest 1940 Chevy Rick

Guest 1940 Chevy Rick

was wondering if anyone can help me out with a question on some tires ? I bought an old Chevy (1940 ) that came with 4 like new Allstate 6.00-16 4 ply tires with what looks like 3 1/4 in w/w. I have had this car in my garage for the last 2yrs. and the tires have yet to need air,so i would say these are good tires with out any cracks. The question is what would these tires be worth if sold ?? they come with rims, rings and caps. :confused:

Guest AlCapone

How old are they? Are they brittle ? Some like new tires are great for display in a museum but of no value for highway driving !

Wayne

I don't know when Sears stopped selling Allstate tires in sizes for older cars but I associate that with the 50s, 60s and 70s. From this site, it seems the Sears Allstate tires I purchased in 1974 might have been near the end of the line: http://www.searsarchives.com/brands/allstate.htm

I would not trust 40 year old tires for more than museum display. Your wheels, rings and caps may well be worth something but the tires are a liability as would not be safe to use and the buyer would need to pay a disposal fee to get rid of them.

Guest 1940 Chevy Rick
I don't know when Sears stopped selling Allstate tires in sizes for older cars but I associate that with the 50s, 60s and 70s. From this site, it seems the Sears Allstate tires I purchased in 1974 might have been near the end of the line: http://www.searsarchives.com/brands/allstate.htm

I would not trust 40 year old tires for more than museum display. Your wheels, rings and caps may well be worth something but the tires are a liability as would not be safe to use and the buyer would need to pay a disposal fee to get rid of them.

Thanks for the info, and ill take your advice. maybe ill clean them up and display them in my garage. Rick from Salinas Ca.

Guest 1940 Chevy Rick

I am not sure how old these tires are,yet there are no cracks, nor are they brittle at all any were.these tires look new. I drove the car for awhile before i started to work on it, and the ride felt like regular bias tires. Thanks for your feed back Rick from Salinas Ca.

In 1966 I had a co-worker that was prepping for retirement (against his will but the union contract said you could not work past 65). He bought a new house and traded his 1956 Pontiac sedan for a new 1966 Cutlass Oldsmobile. He had only lived a mile or so from work and rode a Mo-Ped to work and the car did not get used much. Another co-worker traded his '51 Plymouth that he commuted to work in (about 5 miles one way) on the Pontiac and the first night he drove it to work a tire blew out. Old Man Tom wanted to know which tire blew and when he told him he said there was nothing wrong with that tire. It was the spare that came on the car when it was new. Ray probably got the Pontiac up to about 40 miles per hour coming to work and when the old man drove it, he probably did not exceed 25 miles per hour. I got amused at him thinking a 10 year old bias ply tire was still safe. A few weeks after he retired the old man died and his wife got the new car, new house, and a new husband. I think he died of heartbreak after taking the pay cut from work to retirement.

My 42 Ford has the same tires on it, all cracked and nasty looking. One tube went bad and when I took the tire off it had matching Allstate tube in it. The tires have like new tread, depth anyway, but are definately not road safe.