Whirring, Grinding Starter Fixed

Lisa P

Another issue discovered with the Franklin was the propensity for the starter to whirr, whizz, zing and grind on occasion. I found that the starter would fail at times to turn the engine but could be persuaded to by depressing the button more than once. One fine day when the starter button was depressed, the gentle whirr ended in a loud gnashing of something gone awry.

Upon examination by myself and my mentor, he suggested that something wasn't right with the bendix. Pulling the starter revealed that the bendix had a couple of problems. First, the spring had been torqued and the locating tabs no longer were on the same plane. Second, the woodruff key on the shaft had been worn flush with the shaft thus allowing the shaft to spin but not engaging so that the engine would turn over. And third, one of the screws that locates the spring on the shaft had broken off. Luckily, parts were available and I was able to rebuild the bendix without having to send the starter out. What a relief! It was reinstalled in the Franklin and is working wonderfully. (If any of my descriptions or names are confusing, bear with me as I am learning all this on the fly).

post-70345-143142466162_thumb.jpg