shifter problem

bob duffer

Hi Bob,

My first 57 T-Bird had a very loose gear selector. I had to lift up on the shifter to get it to start. I ended up having to replace a number of parts. There are bushings that wear out and the pin the the shifter pivots on was also worn out. After I replaced those parts the shifter was rock solid and started in neutral as it should. The part numbers (in the CASCO catalog) are 7A133 (bushing and washer kit), 7241 (pivot pin), and 7269 (pawl). You may not need the pawl, but if you are taking things apart it makes sense to replace it. The job can be done from the topside and if your situation is similar to mine once you make the fix the car should start in neutral with no manipulation of the shifter.

As for the backup lights, they only work when the headlights are on. Have you checked them that way? If they don't I wouldn't do anything with them until you make the repairs I've outlined above. Those repairs may just fix both of your problems.

Regards,

Lew

Hi Bob,

The pivot pin fits into a housing which I think you can get at only from the topside. You would need to get that out of the shifter before you would be able to pull the shifter down through the floor from the bottom. Unless your capet is glued in place it is possible to peal it back to get at the chrome housing to unscrew it. It has been almost 20 years since I did it so I don't remember all of the details. I would suggest trying to take off the chrome housing first and see how things are. In my case the shifter was so loose that it almost felt like a manual transmission (sideways motion). After I replace the parts I mentioned in my previous posting the shifter was rock solid. In fact, it was probably the best part of the car. That is why I got rid of it and got a better car.

Let me know what you find and I'll do my best to talk you through it.

Regards,

Lew

• 2 weeks later...

Lew,

Are the shifters (when in neutral ) supposed to have any play or zero play ? Forward and back not side to side. I took all my carpet out and the shifter is

in the open. Can all the work be done from the top or do i have to get under the car? I looked under the car and it seems the trans would be in the way if

i was to do anything under there.

Bob

Bob,

They will have a little play front to back. If your shifter only has slight play from side to side (1/4 inch at most) then you don't need to do the repair I mentioned in my previous note. If that is the case then you will have look at the shop manual to see what it says about adjusting the linkage on a T-Bird with an automatic transmission. I'm not sure, but I think those adjustments have to be made underneath the car. If the adjustments don't work then you are probably looking at a neutral safety switch problem. If that is the case you will have to replace the switch.

I hope this helps.