Question on steering wheel cracks on my 1940

Daves1940Buick56S

All:

I have the "deluxe" wheel and it has a bunch of splits and cracks. As part of all this dash/inst panel work I have been doing (more on that soon) I thought I might patch up the wheel while it's off. So I was thinking filling the cracks with either clear or off white epoxy. Or is there something better? (And no, I am not spending $600 to rebuild it. This is not a 400 pt car and I need the $ to replace the clutch!)

Cheers, Dave

Hi,

I used the Devcon #62345 epoxy with steel powder in it to fill gaps and solidify the LaSalle's steering wheel. I used masking tape to form a mold around the gaps, filled the gaps, heated gently with a heat gun to get the epoxy runny, then to set up in a matter of a couple of minutes. Then I removed the masking tape by hand and by using fine-grain sand paper where needed. Not so pretty, but cheap and effective!

--Tom

Dave,

There was an article in our local club paper recently about mixing epoxy with a bit of paint to get the right color and wrapping the cracked area with clear strapping tape to form a tight mold and placing the wheel so the crack is at the top. Make a funnel from tape and pour it in. Then you just have to sand or file the funnel off when it hardens.

Mike in Colorado

There is an epoxy called PC-7 made for repairing cracks in hard plastic and bakelite. Eastwood sells it as a kit with an instruction sheet and adhevion promoter. I have used this with great success on my 60 Buick wheel. After grinding out the cracks down to the metal core, you mix the heavy paste epoxy and work it into the groove and let it built up above the surface. It is a very slow setting epoxy and it's other feature is that it can be worked with a water wetted finger. It is very easy to work the surface down to the correct level. After a full cure, regular finishing with the adhesion promoter, a primer sealer, color coat and clear coat. will leave you with a super looking steering wheel.

Bob Engle