'35 Coupe for sale $3900, SD

Here's a link to '35 Ply coupe for sale in South Dakota. I know that it's a Plymouth and not a Dodge, guys, but the Plymouth site doesn't get anywhere near as much traffic as the Dodge site does. Maybe one of you know someone who's in the market for a prewar Chrysler product to restore? I don't know anything about the car, I just came across it while browsing Craigslist. Prewar coupes (of any manufacture) under $5,000 go quickly to the "crate engine" crowd, so it would sure be nice to save this old cutie for the coming generations.

http://sd.craigslist.org/cto/4396905888.html

00V0V_iEJH26D0ZyA_600x450.jpg

00K0K_86uLZcdkRUp_600x450.jpg

00C0C_l1rMxjl4H6f_600x450.jpg

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

poor coupe, what a shame

Thank you. I was a little worried that some might not agree with me. I think it's hideous. Those "cycle fenders" look like the came from a Fruehauf trailer. At least the car isn't purple with orange flames. What I've always resented most is that those who modify cars like this think that any change they make, no matter how ill-conceived, is preferable to the original, well thought-out and carefully executed design. What incredible hutzpah! As far as standard Detroit production cars go, the '36 Dodge is one of ten, or so, nicest looking and most tastefully designed cars of the thirties.

I believe many of these guys just hack those things together in order to try and make a quick and easy buck. Witness most of the automotive themed reality shows on television. They usually find some fool willing to part with his money.

I believe many of these guys just hack those things together in order to try and make a quick and easy buck. Witness most of the automotive themed reality shows on television. They usually find some fool willing to part with his money.

Larry, you're very right about those shows. There's a nasty, cynical aspect to them that the old car hobby can do without. I can't stand the ridiculous artificial deadlines that they make up just to add some element of suspense to the "transformation". I also secretly rage with jealousy at how much they can accomplish with all the man-hours, cash and equipment. Meanwhile, my projects progress at a glacial pace. If only they would ever do something worthwhile, maybe I would enjoy watching them occasionally.

C'mon guys. While the car in question may not be to your tastes it is what it is and some guy is proud of it.

It may be some young kid with no money making do with a wrecked front end or some father son project that brings the family together.

Either way, it is not for us to be judgmental. It does not belong to you or me and I am sure that who ever owns it would be happy to tell you the history.

Heres mine. It has been on the road for over 30 years and is dependable. Oh, it gets thumbs up everywhere I go.

post-52542-143142469782_thumb.jpg

post-52542-143142469784_thumb.jpg

post-52542-143142469787_thumb.jpg

Larry, you're very right about those shows. There's a nasty, cynical aspect to them that the old car hobby can do without. I can't stand the ridiculous artificial deadlines that they make up just to add some element of suspense to the "transformation". I also secretly rage with jealousy at how much they can accomplish with all the man-hours, cash and equipment. Meanwhile, my projects progress at a glacial pace. If only they would ever do something worthwhile, maybe I would enjoy watching them occasionally.

Although I agree for the most part I must inject a few caveats.

#1 Car manufacturers have incorporated "trends" and "modifications" into their designs that came out of the cutomizing communitity for years.

#2 The strict "no old car should ever be modified" crowd go wayyyy overboard at times. I can think of a few on this forum. I'm of the school of thought that if you're going to preach that philosophy, then every detail down to the paint better be authentic. I've seen quite a few "holier than Thou" types that have cars painted using modern two stage paints. If you're going to preach you better tow the line.

#3 It's his car. Enough said.

I have to say that at an asking price of $35,900, it appears more to me like a hack job thrown together with an eye towards mega bucks from someone dumb, but wealthy. I repeat, It looks hideous!

It does include the enclosed trailer. Maybe it's not that bad of a deal if you could locate a good set of front sheet metal and then make it look a bit more presentable?

Anyway, back to the topic of the '35 Ply. As a South Dakota car, you can be pretty sure that the rust is very minimal. What I can see of the floorboards looks sound. The fenders need some hammering and some welding ('35s didn't have the nice reinforcing ridge around the outside edge that '36 and later had), a front bumper (a sedan one should be same, though that wouldn't likely be the case with a rear one) and possibly a seat. It appears that at least some of the window moldings are there and the trans (maybe the engine), as well. It might need a spare tire mount and cover, hubcaps and a tail light. On the other hand, these are parts that one would likely take off and store away if you were going to store the car outside. Running boards are available if the ones that come with it can't be saved. I see that the gauges still have glass which is a nice feature. Lastly, a decent grille. It may be that this coupe is in quite a bit better shape than the substantial surface rust initially indicates. What do you guys think it should be worth?

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)