Starting/Exhaust leak issues 56 Windsor

The 4bbl carb on my 56 with the 331 has been rebuilt 3 times, once by me & twice by "professionals", it still takes constant pumping with the starter engaged before it will fire. After it sits overnight, you can still gas flow into the throat by moving the throttle so it isn't draining. This plays hell with the starter.

After I had the mufflers replaced, an exhaust leak developed on the drivers side between the manifold & the heat riser & exhaust pipe. I tried gaskets on either side of the riser with no luck. Am I missing something? do I need a donut(s) I brought it back to the shop who did the work but they won't address the issue being afraid to "snap an ear off", constant comment is "it's an old car",,,,,,,,,,,,,, Really?

Any thoughts to any oft his?

Thanks

If you need to be pumping when the engine is cold you could have the choke set wrong, a vacuum leak or low compression.

With the air cleaner off and the engine cold check to see that the choke is closed after one stomp of the petal.

Vacuum leaks can be heard by young ears, or can be found by spraying stuff like carb cleaner, starting fluid at hose connections and intake manifold gaskets.