Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Guest wildcat465
Does moving the Centurion from one side of the storage facility to the other side count?

At least you had it out Keith. I'm jealous.

I will count it as a yes.

Well John, you would be happy to know that I changed all the fluids in the 78 EW yesterday, but didn't take it out as it's developed a weird sound after initially coming off choke that disappears when it's fully warm. Sounds like the water pump is going out. The '67 Electra has been up on blocks until I find time to remove the timing cover to find the end of the broken bolt from when I changed the water pump on it! Its a frustrating time in this guys Buick garage!

Ouch! What are you going to bring to Portland?

As for the EW, I would only recommend removing all the fan belts and starting it to see if it is external to the engine. Then if not, a mechanics stethoscope on various parts of the engine to isolate the region of the noise. But if you have the Buick 350 I wonder if you are hearing the start of piston slap. My first 78 had that and the only difference from what you describe is mine had a slight knock on start up from a stop, no matter the temperature. That or the harmonic balancer has gone bad..

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

The plan is to bring both to Portland... I have some work to do! ;)

The noise is definitely coming from the front end of the engine, that's why I'm thinking water pump. There is no play on the fan shaft, but the fan itself has some play. Its a higher pitched bearing type noise, but it's weird that it only acts up during warm up at a specific idle. Once the car is warm, it doesn't happen again. I will try again with the stethoscope/long screw driver to see if I can isolate the noise a little better, and perhaps remove the belts like you suggest. I've eliminated the distributor and the alternator.

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)

Day-dreamed about the 66 Skylark and what needs to be done to get it ready for the Ocean City MD cruise in may---does that count?

John

Got it out of storage Wednesday and brought it in for annual state inspection. Put 50 miles on it cruising around. Not warm enough to put the top down; in fact, might have used the heater if wasn't bypassed.

Guest my3buicks

post-30591-143142481815_thumb.jpgMs. Bianca Merlot is officially awake and out of winter hibernation!! Did a nice 8 mile loop just to warm things up.

The 67 will be coming home in the next couple days to use for the first half the summer, then I will switch it out for the Centurion for the 2nd half.

I backed the '64 out of the body shop so we could swap places with a couple of other cars. It's different sitting in on old 15" wheel for a seat and only being able to see a guy through the windshield. All the other window were masked off for primer. Does 40 feet back and 60 feet forward count?

Guest my3buicks
post-30591-143142482487_thumb.jpgBrought the 67 home today, took her on a nice 18 mile jaunt. We celebrate our 35th anniversary together in May.

Guest wildcat465

post-42002-143142482506_thumb.jpeg

150 miles on the 68 Cat yesterday. FINALLY!

Wanted to start a thread with the pictures from this tour, but do not have time to get pics up. (took me a half hour to put up smiley dude raising hand right now)

Drove the GS about 150, along with Doug ( Redwind89) to the Rhinebeck spring car show. One thing that has been a huge help is the gas station right in our town, who sells 91 octane gasoline without Ethanol. Anyhow the last few years we have asked for, and been provided a class for the Buick club at this show. Today 4 Chapters were represented, and we had over 25 Buicks within our class. It was great to hear the comments of the many spectators who took in the wide array of Buicks .

The GS performed like a real champ!

Guest 4bigben

Drove the 54 Special Riviera Today to Church about 10 miles from home, first time wife rode with me.She smiled at everyone who gave us the thumbs up. Car rides great,had not driven it 9 months. will continue all of May, then will drive the 1970 225 Electra Convertible the month of June.

Guest my3buicks

Took the Reatta for a night out into the city Saturday night, of course it rained. Cleaned it up today lol. I love taking it to high end restaurants and clubs and the guys with the high end cars ask me about it, very satisfying.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Since it rained Saturday and Sunday, I am going to stretch the weekend to include Friday (and I was off). I drove the 70 stage convertible, and 65 Riv Gran Sport, and on Sunday I drove (in the rain) and bought a 69 GS400 Convert!

Drove our 1937-41 to the Mason-Dixon Spring car collection tour. About 175 miles round trip.

post-79073-143142497588_thumb.jpg

A 1941 Chevrolet was the only other pre-war car there.

Drove the 1925-25 around town and over to a friends shop who is making it a Boot for the ratty top.

post-79073-143142497649_thumb.jpg

Wow, it's starting to get busy here. Great! Looks like 1100 views of this thread and only 68 posts? That makes roughly 1050 cars are being restored? gonna be some tight show fields in the future!

We just finished our longest and most fun weekend trip since getting the car back on the road. We did the 27th Annual Route 66 Fun Run. It tracks the longest remaining original Route 66 roadway from Seligman, AZ to the Arizona/California border at the Colorado River. We were on the road from Friday, May 2 to Monday, May 5 with a trip total of 583 miles. I'm going to post some more pictures on my thread in Me and My Buick.

post-61965-143142499081_thumb.jpg

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Had the '39 Buick on the AACA Texas Region's Spring Tour this weekend - about 390 miles door-to-door. There were 11 old cars on the tour and 14 at the meeting on Sunday, so a reasonable showing. Cars ranged from '38 Nash Ambassador 8 up to an '84 Cadillac Eldorado convertible. Had no break downs and left no one behind.

Around the neighborhood in the '14, and just a bit more with the '37 (but drove the '54 Caddy 170 miles between the garage Tour and the Crawfish Boil).

Drove the 39 to the Sauder Village Antique Car Festival on May 18. Only for stock cars 1942 and older. Cars ranged from a curved dash Olds to a 1942 Crosley. 80+ cars. Hudson Club and Willys Club brought several nice examples. How about a 40 Graham Hollywood with the factory supercharged engine. Sunday, I visited a chapter member's newly acquired 38 Century and went for ride. Nice weekend. Next Monday we'll have the 65 in the Annual Memorial Day Parade.