Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

170 on the GS yesterday to view a private collection in Utica. Saw lots of foreign sports cars, and some Model T and A's. A very nice Duesenberg, and an opportunity to see the exhaust manifold up close , and off the engine. It looks like the outlet of the manifold is a 4" diameter, and the engine exhaust pipe squeezes that down to 3" or less. Unfortunately the owner would not let us take pictures, and not being up on foreign brands I could not tell you much else of what was in there except a few 20's era Caddys , a leather bodied Bugatti, A REO from late teens I imagine, and the modern iron was a 66 GTO Convertible and a 57 Chevy Convertible, plus a few Volkswagens. No Buicks graced the hallowed halls...

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

I knew that red convertible when I pulled my '60 into the parking lot. The last time I saw it was at our chapter picnic when our Finger Lakes Chapter hosted the New York State Gathering.

I managed to rack up about 350 miles yesterday. I hit the NYS Thruway about 6:45 an ran the 150 miles to Utica for an earlier appointment to see about 140 dream cars stashed in an old mill.

The private collection had a lot; more Bugatti's than you could shake a stick at, '30's Caddies, a new Aston Martin convert, Mercedes from gull wing to retractable hardtop and the in betweens, Enough Porsche's to use an engine for a coffee table, a couple of Jaguars like the ones I shouldn't have sold, a real Cobra, a '30'a Alfa. Just tons of stuff And Bob Malley's blue bus! That was a surprise.

So how do I go to a place 150 miles away and make it a 350 mile trip? I came all the way back on Route 31 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Route_31, comes within a mile of my house. I have been reading a book about the Erie Canal from 1790 to 1854 and my route home took me through the path in Utica all the way out to my wilderness area.

Great exercise for the car 70 MPH steady driving out and 60 or so, slowing for small towns coming back. What a great prelude to an oil change. I thought about it. Too many cars in the garage to drop the oil when I got home.

I lost track of you or I would have talked more!

Bernie

Did nearly 150 miles in the '41 Roadmaster today. It was a car club garage tour, and we visited a restoration shop that has been in business since the mid 60's, and a couple of private collections. A group of 30+ cars, modern and mixed make vintage. One friend was off to a bad start with his '56 Meteor, it stalled a long half block from our first stop, which fortunately was the restoration shop. Diagnosis was a bad fuel pump, and unfortunately there was no replacement available today, so its' sitting at the shop, and my friend and his wife rode with others.

For us Buick folks, the most interesting was a 1914 McLaughlin model 55M, very similar to the US built model 55, Buick's first six. This car is in decent shape, but has been sitting many, many years, and someone had tried starting it forcibliy, and did some damage to the engine, which is now in the process of being fixed.

Then a large collection of featuring many made American made cars, Ford's, Lincoln's, Chevies, a couple of Buicks, a McLaughlin, and others. Plus a number of imports, Alfas, Triumphs, a Jag X-type, a TVR, a Renault sports car, etc., but no seriously high end cars there, and many had had some kind of damage.

I've posted a couple of pictures of my '41, with my friend's 150 year farmhouse in the back.

Keith

post-77136-143143090318_thumb.jpg

post-77136-143143090312_thumb.jpg

I knew that red convertible when I pulled my '60 into the parking lot. The last time I saw it was at our chapter picnic when our Finger Lakes Chapter hosted the New York State Gathering.... I lost track of you or I would have talked more!

Bernie

And I heard more than one person say that '60 in the lot was quite a machine! I took the liberty of pointing out that it still had some bias ply tires on it too. Another bit of information that resulted in some "Whoa's".

Sorry we did not get the chance to talk more too Bernie.

I love that '47 Special, Frank Tedesco!

And I had the '59 Electra out for a drive, since I needed -- inevitably -- to head to the office for part of my weekend. But I made certain to stop for a brief photo with the classic wooden roller coaster of the state fairgrounds.

17100944517_47ce1c3f32_b.jpg

• Like 1

Tuesday marked 100 traffic deaths in Minnesota for 2015, and those were adult drivers. It's amazing the risk a kid will take when they don't know how dangerous adult drivers are.

I probably sat on my Dad's lap and steered when I was 6, but I was 12 before I drove my own car around the back yard (key phrase: my own).

Bernie

Test drove the 56' today to try out the new fuel pump and rebuilt carb. Runs well, more power and wow do the windshield wipers work now!

Prep for the 3 hour trip to Rhinebeck tomorrow early!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may see you tomorrow. Thinking about taking the Chartreuse Lady. :cool: Dandy Dave!

I put 15 miles on the '20 Tuesday evening. Since I am running 100% gasoline in it now it runs absolutely great. I decided to put a few more miles on it Thursday evening and promptly ran it out of gas. I was having so much fun that I forgot to look at the gas gauge before I left the shop. The boss wasn't exactly thrilled at having to come and rescue me over that deal. We have a full tank of fuel that should get a lot more miles on the odometer now. The McPherson College Auto Restoration Program held their 15th Annual Car and Motorcycle Show today. I had registered to take the car last month and it was a beautiful day with a few Buicks present and some old ones at that. I did not hear exactly how many vehicles were in attendance but a good guess would be between 250 and 300. For those who might not know this, McPherson College is Pete Phillips' Alma Mater. The students in the Restoration Program were the judges for the different year model classifications. Our Buick was entered in the 1927 and earlier class and at the awards presentation and it was awarded 1st Place. I was really surprised because there was a 1907 2-cylinder Maxwell parked two cars away from me that was to die for. A beautiful little roadster. And then there was a 1927 Hudson Essex that was a very nice mostly original car. I had a chance to visit with two of the student judges after the show and the one fellow told me that his passion is the 'Original' cars from the teens and twenties. I told him that he was definitely singin' my song. There was something about this show that just jumped out at me. All of the 1927 and earlier vehicles were grouped together in one area. All of the 1928 to 1940 vehicles were grouped. WE WERE ALL PARKED TOGETHER! There was no snivelin' or whining by the judges that they had to walk a little bit to see everything. WE ALL HAD FUN AND MADE SOME NEW FRIENDS. There were people there from New Mexico and North Carolina. Did I mention we had fun!? This is what a car show is all about. Wish you all could have been there.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

On Saturday took the 1937 on tour to the Bob Green collection at Orwigsburg Pa. with the Mason-Dixon chapter. The next newer car was a 1961 Cadillac. I am usually the only one in the club who tours with a pre war car. We did a 240 mile round trip. Today we took the 1925 to church and since it was so nice (nearly 80 degrees) we put the top down and drove to another Mason-Dixon members home. They were to drive their one owner 1967 Electra with us the day before but the wife is having some health issues. So the visit was to show photos of what they had missed.

post-79073-143143098489_thumb.jpgWe have had a weekend of Buick Bliss!

post-79073-143143098483_thumb.jpg

Had a Buickfull day today. Up and at em' early and drove

150 miles to Rhinebeck, NY to the Car Show and flea market. Met up with John DeFiore and Ed Almond. Dropped my radio from the 47' and the 56' off with another BCA member to be checked out and repaired. Was a very nice and enjoyable day! And trouble-free to boot! Here's a picture of our cars lined up.

4cbccc686abdf43cbafd9f46e5bbb0d1.jpg

• Like 1

Guest 4 bufords

150 miles to Rhinebeck, NY to the Car Show and flea market. Met up with John DeFiore and Ed Almond. Dropped my radio from the 47' and the 56' off with another BCA member to be checked out and repaired. Was a very nice and enjoyable day! And trouble-free to boot! Here's a picture of our cars lined up.

62 tie rods are so sloppy,car is hard to drive.wanted to take it to Rhinebeck Saturday and a local show today,4 bufords from ct

150 miles for the 56 and I think I killed 30 bugs per mile on the windshield alone. It was a great ride. Normal temps down and back running 55 mph plus.

It was a great day with at least 25 Buicks in the designated parking area.

Edited today to show the correct number of Buicks in our designated class based on photos. and to add one more picture.

post-31834-143143099929_thumb.jpg

The second picture is of my Nephew, Ray De Fiore, who stole a first place in class for his 85 Ford, which is a low mileage 3/4 ton pickup with it's original paint and 460 cui- 4 speed driveline.

post-31834-143143099924_thumb.jpg

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

What.. You did not meet up with Dandy Dave Also??? LOL.. sure you did. Should have been a photo op... My bad... ;) Dandy Dave!

Guest my3buicks

post-30591-143143099417_thumb.jpg

I drove the Reatta from the garage to the trailer then dragged it to Virginia Beach, drove it from the trailer to the show field, the show field to the trailer, dragged it back home and drove it off the trailer to the garage. Does that count? I haven't done that routine in years.

post-30591-143143099419_thumb.jpg

post-30591-143143099421_thumb.jpg

post-30591-143143099423_thumb.jpg

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Guest shadetree77

I had a great weekend also. Friday I went up to Flint to help Larry Schramm put a piston back in his '15 truck and button up the underside. Saturday I drove my '52 out to Davisburg to the Michigan Antique Festival car show. Came home for about an hour then drove the old girl up to Flint to assist Larry and his friend John put Larry's newly rebuilt starter/generator, water pump, and front engine cover back on. Drove home in the dark. Love driving my car in the dark. Just something about those pale yellow dash lights really takes you back in time.

Today I drove out to the first cruise-in of the year at Baker's Restaurant in Milford. Spotted a 1931 American LaFrance firetruck with Buick engine, Buick motometer, and GMC built chassis. Hung around there for a while. On the way home stopped to fill up with ethanol free petrol and then stopped at a little roadside stand to share a custard banana split with Mrs. Shadetree. All in all a GREAT start to the driving season!! Put about 122 miles on this weekend.:cool:

post-75106-143143099346_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143143099355_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143143099364_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143143099374_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143143099383_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143143099392_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143143099398_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143143099408_thumb.jpg

Drove my '39 to our annual club auto show, about 180 cars, the Buick placed second behind a model "A" Ford in '49 and older original class.

We had 19 Foreign cars including a Lamborghini, McLaren, and a Ferrari

What.. You did not meet up with Dandy Dave Also??? LOL.. sure you did. Should have been a photo op... My bad... ;) Dandy Dave!

And, but of course, I was finally able to meet up with our Dandy Dave! It was very nice to finally meet your acquaintance! I really enjoyed the little bit of conversation we had and look forward to the next time. I really believe we could swap stories for hours.....

Guest my3buicks

I drove the Reatta a whooping 18 miles today, bumped it to 7,650. I took it for a photoshoot, even had the top down on the way home woohoo

Guest shadetree77
Nice Shadetree.. So when is the Brass era Buick being Adopted??? ;) Dandy Dave!

Dave, if only! Brass era cars are a little out of my league right now if you know what I'm sayin'. I love to look at them, love to ride in them, and love to work on them. Someday I'll own one....or two....or six. :cool: That is, unless you've got a neglected orphan sitting around you want to put up for "adoption". Lol. Free to a good home? :P

Dave, if only! Brass era cars are a little out of my league right now if you know what I'm sayin'. I love to look at them, love to ride in them, and love to work on them. Someday I'll own one....or two....or six. :cool: That is, unless you've got a neglected orphan sitting around you want to put up for "adoption". Lol. Free to a good home? :P

Not at the moment. But if something comes along, I'll sure keep you in mind. You never know what lands around this place, often only by Association. I probably have more in my 100 + year parts cars then you have all totaled in your 53, so I understand totally. Someday the time will be right, and the car will be right. I was about 44 when I adopted the Chartreuse Lady. Was not sure I could swing it then, but I did and have never regretted it. Dandy Dave!

As Dave knows, in my case it is not for my lack of trying to get a brass/nickel era car. I keep offering and the owners keep laughing. Still waiting to hear if there is any consideration to my offer for the local 1915 C-36.

post-79073-143143102325_thumb.jpg

The 1910 model 10 runabout I made an offer on last fall is I believe still not sold.

I hope the 1914 C-37 we tried to deal on 3 years ago went to a good home.... I had better stop, as I am beginning to depress myself!!

post-79073-143143102314_thumb.jpg

post-79073-14314310232_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

just got back from having coffee with car guys in a town 8 miles away. I took the convertible, top down. I have put about 175 miles on it in the last two weeks.

I had to put new nylon window rollers in the right quarter window last year (look at pics of '86 Park ave 2 doors and think about that one). I found a quarter and a nickle under the rear seat. They were sitting on the front floor hump with the top down. I'm waiting to see someone reach in there and make it a nickel error car.

Bernie

Just got back from a local 24 mile shake-down run in my 13 Touring car...  It ran good, but I could tell it needs some neatsfoot oil on the clutch and the plugs could use some cleaning.  I had to drive through town & there are always too many stop lights and stop signs.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1