Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Saturday afternoon we drove the 1937 Roadmaster Phaeton to the new Yulman Stadium for the TULANE UNIVERSITY HOMECOMING football game. The day was picture perfect for a homecoming with mild temperatures in the low 60s and bright sunshine. Fortunately we are authorized to park on-campus at the Diboll Garage adjacent to the newly built stadium. While the football team's performance was disappointing, the beautiful Buick drew rave reviews from all who got to enjoy her.

Following the mid-afternoon visit to Tulane's campus and Homecoming activities, we - Dale, me, and the '37 Roadmaster continued down-river to Brewster's Restaurant in Chalmette, Louisiana.

AACSB - Antique Automobile Club of Saint Bernard (Parish) hosted the last of our Open Cruise Nights for the current year - to be resumed in either February or March, depending on the calendar and the weather and Mardi Gras parades.

1950s and 1960s Rock 'n Roll music was the order of the evening. Johnny Waguespack is Louisiana Region President and served as our favorite DJ. Dancing, bopping, shuck-'n-jive were not out of place, along with enjoying great food at Brewsters, where the owners provide two trophies each month - they choose their favorite cars - one for AACSB Members, and another for non-members. Members do not accept more than one each year, regardless of how many cars they display.

This on-going cruise night assists in attracting new potential members to our club, and is always great fun.

post-54863-14314283277_thumb.jpg

post-54863-14314283278_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142832789_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142832799_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142832811_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142832821_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142832831_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Took the '39 Coupe out to see some new houses and a car show on Saturday afternoon. Drove about 60 miles round trip, but did not take the Buick to the AACA meeting Sunday afternoon - was misting and temperature was high 30's and dropping. Got below freezing and had a light snow last night, so Buick is staying in the garage till we warm up a bit later this week.

I finally put the top up on the 1925 today. I had been waiting since last May for a local fellow to make up a top boot and spare tire cover for me. On Thursday he said he may not get to it till after the first of the year. So up goes the top. post-79073-143142845229_thumb.jpg

Then took about a 10 mile drive to give her some exercise. Also took the 1937 out since it had not moved since Oct 25th.

post-79073-143142845224_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143142845218_thumb.jpg

I finally put the top up on the 1925 today. I had been waiting since last May for a local fellow to make up a top boot and spare tire cover for me. On Thursday he said he may not get to it till after the first of the year. So up goes the top. [ATTACH=CONFIG]282589[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]282591[/ATTACH]

Then took about a 10 mile drive to give her some exercise. Also took the 1937 out since it had not moved since Oct 25th.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]282590[/ATTACH]

LIKE!

• 2 weeks later...

What a nice day yesterday. Got the 56 and the GS out for a short trip each. Just love to listen to them idle, and the drive itself is just to make sure things move, it's not really a necessity for me to enjoy these cars.

Like I indicated, just listening to em idle is enough for me. I don't really have to move em. But today I got to drive Gary's 70 Skylark round the storage unit driveway where he keeps it. And I must say it was a lot of fun too!

Hi Mr Earl,

That's Morticia and Uncle Fester in the speedster. I wish I could make the Avatar bigger. The second one is Uncle Fester, Wednesday and Pugsley in a 1907 Renault. I'm a fan of Charles Adams of who illustrated (among many others), the "Creepy and Kooky Adams Family" for the New yorker, that we all know from the original TV show. Charles adams was also a car guy. He died after suffering a heart attack in his car just outside his apartment building. His wife said he was always a car buff "…so it was a nice way to go" yesh!-Frank

post-60373-143142876708_thumb.jpg

post-60373-143142876703_thumb.jpg

I went to the same meeting as John V. did. Took my newly restored 1970 stick shift Wildcat on its longest trip since being restored. 180 miles round trip. 9.4 gallons used, so that is just under 20 m.p.g. I was astounded! Was expecting 12-15 at best. The 2.78 rear axle ratio and standard shift must be the key. Never would have expected a 455 V-8 in a 4,100 pound Buick would do anything close to 20 m.p.g. It was mostly highway driving with very little wind.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

post-32059-143142882814_thumb.jpg

Guest 4 bufords
I went to the same meeting as John V. did. Took my newly restored 1970 stick shift Wildcat on its longest trip since being restored. 180 miles round trip. 9.4 gallons used, so that is just under 20 m.p.g. I was astounded! Was expecting 12-15 at best. The 2.78 rear axle ratio and standard shift must be the key. Never would have expected a 455 V-8 in a 4,100 pound Buick would do anything close to 20 m.p.g. It was mostly highway driving with very little wind.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

pete,nice article in the bugle on your cat,you are a lucky guy to own such a rare car.looking forward to seeing it in sprinjgfield ,4 bufords from ct

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

[ATTACH=CONFIG]286252[/ATTACH]Drove my new Reatta 650 miles

Nice buys !!

Congratulations !!

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't drive it far but I did get the 56 out for a short ride today. Maybe the global warming thing is debatable but 48* and sunny in Albany, NY on Dec 25th is a real gift, and I could not waste it. Got the Queen running too with the new battery. I just could not take it out cause I was afraid of it sinking into the soft grass

I gave my Mom a ride in the Roadmaster to my sister's house today.

She made sure everyone there knew we arrived in the Roadmaster

And when she got home she was on the phone several hours telling her Sisters, Children and Grandchildren she road in the Roadmaster.

I'll have to give her some more rides

• Like 1

Anything that heats the mufflers up enough to vaporize the condensation should count as long as it splashes hot engine oil inside the crankcase, whirls transmission fluid at temperatures too hot to touch, and makes the rear end lube wick out the axles at the same time.

Today is the last day of my wife's vacation; 10 miles in the '60 and 2 miles walking, plus a trip across the county line for lunch.

post-46237-143142905152_thumb.jpg

Bernie

post-46237-143142905089_thumb.jpg

post-46237-143142905122_thumb.jpg

Taking the '37 out today for a drive up the river to historic Oak Alley Plantation in Vacherie, Louisiana - then back to New Orleans by late afternoon - and home before the New Year's Eve madness in the French Quarter.

post-54863-143142912754_thumb.jpg

Thank you Larry Di Barry, for the inspiration to get my 69 GS out today. It was a moderate cold, like 24* here, but there has not been any snow and the roads were washed Christmas Eve, so I got a chance to take her out for a 10 mile cruise and some errands. A wonderful end to 2014. Hope to get the 56 out for the first day of 2015.

To mark the last day of 2014, we drove the 1937 Roadmaster upriver to Oak Alley Plantation to celebrate beautiful sunny skies and temps in the mid-60s. A Louisiana Cajun gentleman and his Texas bride were married there at the plantation house today....

Don't they just look great in their elegant attire. Yes, we gave them a ride in the Buick which they said they'll remember all their married life.

post-54863-143142913523_thumb.jpg

Agree w/ Ben, you had a real drive Marty, and did a generous thing for that couple. It is a great picture you posted.

As for me, it was 30* and bright sunshine when I took the 56 for a RARE New Year's Day drive today. Same 10 miles as yesterday in the equally rare Old Year close out drive in the GS. Thank you to the powers above for small favors...

And a Happy New Year again to all our marvelous Forum participants.

To mark the last day of 2014, we drove the 1937 Roadmaster upriver to Oak Alley Plantation to celebrate beautiful sunny skies and temps in the mid-60s. A Louisiana Cajun gentleman and his Texas bride were married there at the plantation house today....

Don't they just look great in their elegant attire. Yes, we gave them a ride in the Buick which they said they'll remember all their married life.

Very nice !!

• 1 month later...
Guest Buick8Bill

A beautiful day in Northwest Washington. I took our '56 Special model 43 for a short 6 mile trip up to the local gas station to fill the tank and get the car limbered up. I also drove our '36 Special business coupe over to a friend's house about 5 miles away, then the long way around (another 7 miles) toward home. It was good to get behind the wheel after a lengthy restoration.

• 2 weeks later...