Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

The Chartreuse Lady and I went to O'Kenny's. car show in Kinderhook N.Y. There were around 250 cars registered for the event. It was a good time and a great show. I was late getting a start and totally forgot to take my camera. Dandy Dave!

I had two 1994 Roadmasters that New York State rust consumed. About four years ago I replaced the last one with this:

post-46237-14314277142_thumb.jpg It just rides a little stiffer. I was out roaming yesterday.

Hey! Anyone notice for a guy from New York I seem to be on dirt roads a lot?

Bernie

post-46237-143142771418_thumb.jpg

Bernie

That's cause you live in the boondoggles Bernie. :P Must be a few cows, cornfields, and a Shine Still or two out that way. ;) Dandy Dave!

It just rides a little stiffer. I was out roaming yesterday.

Bernie

Oh, I love my Impala, a 96. It's my second one, and I have about 200K miles between the two of them, often to the BCA meets or pulling a trailer full of Buick parts. A fun and solid work-horse, but Baby don't like dirt roads and getting her shoes dirty.

The next town over is just far enough to warm up the engine, splash oil around the inside, burble through the torque converter a few times, and cook the moiture out of the rear end vent. Lunch is always pretty good, too.

post-46237-143142786006_thumb.jpg

And we still paint Buick sized parking spots up in these parts.

Bernie

I haven't had my '71 LeSabre out for a couple of months. I was hoping to have some work done on it this year so I could drive it and enjoy it more than I have. Unfortunately, just didn't get to it. I will take it out for a run before putting it up for the winter at the end of the month. I've only driven it about 50 miles since April; haven't even put gas in it this year.

Guest Buick8Bill

I drove our '56 Model 43 a few miles on Saturday just to get the juices flowing. I was planning to take the '36 business coupe for a spin, but it was a quart low on oil and I didn't have any on hand. I picked up a couple of quarts on the way home from church and was able to get the car out for a short drive. This time of the year here in the Pacific Northwest, I take the car out most every time there is a nice day.

Guest 4 bufords

drove my 62 invicta to chapter meeting yesrerday about 60 miles round trip and again today drove it about 70 miles round trip to a car show.new starter and carb performed great.next to address is steering box.car show in Torrington,ct next sunday should be the last one this year,4 bufords from ct

I drove our 67 LeSabre to a local coffee and cars gathering near Ft Worth Alliance Airport on Saturday morning. Its nice to get out and visit a couple of hours early in the morning. Its a good diverse group of classic cars. Enjoyed looking at a Golden Hawk. hadn't seen one that nice before. Its only a 20 minute drive from home to there.

tn_wide_angle_2_original.jpg

Took the GS 197 miles, round trip, to Mills Mansion in Staatsburg, NY. 26th annual gathering of old cars. This show was started as "something to do at the end of the driving season" and has never been publically advertised. Everyone here has learned of this event by word of mouth.

Took Linda's Riviera way south of town to the local Pumpkin Patch then further down the road to a Winery. On the way home we got stuck behind a combine pulling out of a bean field and followed it for about two miles at 10 mph. Stopped by Gord's to look at his newest acquisition. All in all, about 90 miles round trip. Great day to crack the windows and breathe the outside air.

Ed

Had the '56 Roadmaster out for a longish tour with a club on Sat. Cool and dreary most of the day, with only a few some breaks, but we drove on some lovely country roads.

Bad news, is that when we were almost home it suddenly started running real bad, like with lost a cylinder or two. Haven't been able to check it out yet.

Keith

Took the Reatta out and drove to the Cape Cod Canal Visitor's Center & Museum in Plymouth, MA with fellow Minuteman Chapter members. Also drove to the National Cemetery in Bourne, MA to visit my brother's site. All n' all about 125 miles round trip on Sunday.

Yesterday I took mine up for the annual New York State inspection. The record showed I drove it 1100 miles last year. I'm up to 81,406. I bought it with 69,000 in 2002. We left it that home and took the Chevy out for the lunch ride. I bought that almost 4 years ago and saw that car has just about 4,000 miles more than when I purchased it.

My truck has an hour meter and, no matter how I drive, the average speed calculates to 35 miles per hour on a tankful. Applied to the old cars that's about 30 hours of driving per year to make the 1,000 miles, or 30 hours at fairly low speed. Minimize the winter driving and own more cars than a sane person and that ends up being a big chunk of one's spare time.

Bernie

Took the 62 Skylark out for the first time in a couple weeks. It is waiting its turn for new tires and other refreshing while I work on my 60 LeSabre. So, I am not driving it too far on the old bias plys. Felt good to drive with the top down.

post-94858-14314278988_thumb.jpg

Lunch at the Bergen Farm Market Family Restaurant today and a run up Torpy Hill, overlooking the Bergen Swamp.

post-46237-143142798281_thumb.jpg ......... another dirt road from the guy in New York!

Even Dwight has been to the Bergen Farm Market Family Restaurant.

Bernie

We drove both this weekend. The 37 had not been out for 3 weeks, so we did about 10 miles to exercise her. Then on Sunday we drove "Beulah" to church and then to mingle with the fall foliage. We finally have some color around here. So I have a picture of my lovely wife Joan behind the wheel of our 1925 "Beulah" during the drive after church.

post-79073-143142802335_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Had the '56 Roadmaster out on Friday, and today (Sun.) had the '41 Roadmaster out for its' last drive of the season, as I took out to its' winter storage. It's in a small town about an hour from the city, and it was a cool and very bright fall day, which was nice, as it snowed here in Toronto yesterday(Sat).

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)

We drove the '37 Roadmaster Phaeton 80C home from her storage. We gave her a fresh tank-full of No-Ethanol plus a shot of air in her wide white walls. Even after sleeping for the months we've been on the road, she fired right up and her big 320 ci was as smooth as Vaughn Monroe's baritone sounds, with a bit of Frankie Sinatra's crooning - and you could almost hear the Harry James band harmonizing behind Harry's trumpet rendition of "Carnival of Venice" (page 339 in the Arban's book for you trumpet players!).

Nearly midnight in mid-NOvember, and we're down to 63 degrees, but will stay in the 70s and 80s through the weekend and into next week for some top-down cruising through Cajun Country for some great scenery, winding roads, Bayou-Browsing, and sampling more great food.

Plan to come and visit with us next November, 2015 when the Lagniappe Chapter of Louisiana Region - AACA hosts the 2015 Central Division Fall Meet in Houma, Louisiana - just an hour South-West of New Orleans, and plan to spend a few days visiting New Orleans, our National WWII Museum and Aquarium, the French Quarter (be on your best behavior), Cajun Country, and the beautiful Gulf Coast - just LESS THAN a month after HERSHEY !!

Best regards to our friends who have to put their Buicks away for the winter. - Did you notice the unusual pattern on the Dash Panels?

post-54863-143142819017_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142819029_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142819368_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142819377_thumb.jpg

post-54863-14314281964_thumb.jpg

post-54863-14314281965_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142819662_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

My respected and revered friend Pinky Randall "MR. CHEVROLET" once back in 1994 told me that a BUICK was just a CHEVROLET with LOCK WASHERS ---

I guess our 1988 Corvette came with lock washers !!!

post-54863-143142819681_thumb.jpg

Sooooo beautiful, but so much bad behavior from my 1950 Roadmaster today...! Headed out early this morning to an All-GM show in Plano, Texas, about 50 miles from home. Got as far as McKinney and lost power, would not run, coasted into a gas station. Was it out of gas? No. Was it a hot day? No, about 55 degrees. Still, I managed to get it started again after 45 minutes of rest, and hobbled back home in disgust, staying at or below 45 mph, and eventually got home. I think it was vapor lock, even though not a hot day.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

post-32059-143142820221_thumb.jpg

Pete, I was looking at commercial business space in the DFW area online. If I move out of rusty New York maybe I could fix that for you. I wanted to drive my Electra this afternoon but it is blocked in the back of the garage while we relocate the gas furnace. I did run the Riviera up to town for coffee on Wednesday.

Bernie

Phil,

You may be onto something. That car's heat riser is stuck (not sure which way). Is vapor lock a symptom of a stuck riser? This car has always had this problem in the 5 or 6 years I have owned it.

Pete Phillips

If the little weighted tab on the end of the riser shaft it up toward 1 O'clock the riser is diverting heat away from the carb base. Otherwise it's more likely to vapor lock and percolate fuel in the carb. Hopefully it's stuck in this position like mine.

Phil

post-71590-143142820835_thumb.jpg

I drove the Roadmaster on some errands this morning. Back in time to watch a ball game on TV. At halftime, I went for pizza in the Roadmaster.

Tomorrow I'm driving the Roadmaster again. It like s the cooler weather. And has a marked increase in performance with the power steering belt removed. (the power cylinder and ​reservoir have leaks...)

Went on a two day tour of East Texas with the AACA Texas Region. Put right at 375 miles on the '39 Buick, with about 150 of them close behind a '38 Roadmaster and right behind me was a '41 Packard. Beautiful Fall weather, and the scenery was terrific! We had 22 cars for the tour and no breakdowns.

Took the 15 Buick for a spin around the Neighborhood with a Friend. Most likely the last run for this year as it was a little brisk. She is officially 100 years old. According to the engine serial, it rolled off of the production line October of 1914. Dandy Dave!