Got the '49 out for the first time this year

Pete Phillips

Was a nice day on Saturday and the N. Texas Chapter was having its monthly meeting in the Dallas area, so I added a quart of oil, filled up with gas, and took the '49 Super out for the first time this year, after a rough winter in these parts. 120-mile round trip, and it did just fine. That's the original paint on this car, but it looks a LOT nicer in the photo than it does in person! In fact, one old lady who looked at the car yesterday made a negative comment about the paint, but regardless of what she says, I'm NOT going to repaint it. Got to get some new front shock absorbers for it, though--too much wheel flutter on bumpy roads.

post-32059-143142464936_thumb.jpg

I sure like those 49's and my wife even recognizes there is something special, well, super, or electrifying about just jumping in and making a 150 to 200 mile round trip.

I see you got some responses with the old lady comment. I resisted, I figured you were trolling for them, you weren't trolling for old ladies were you?

One of the drawbacks of my '60 is that it attracts a lot of mid-50's women, more than any car I've owned. Most need a full rotisserie job, not just paint! Luckily, their half bald, pony tailed, 60ish husbands with tattoos and earrings drag them away. Then again, maybe it is my geek glasses and Navy dress shoes and not the Buick...... Nah, its the Buick. When I was 17 it was the Buick, too.

post-46237-143142469097_thumb.jpg Bernie

So Pete, as a 49 addict, I appreciate the post! And, I'm a little envious - my engine/instrument panel wiring harness (and the dash) is out of my Super and laid out on a door in my garage for replication, so the Super isn't going anywhere soon. The color code on my car os 05 - Elan Blue. Is that your car's color? Looks like it on the picture...

Geoff

Guest Jerry Courson

Pete - That's a good looking car without any new paint. When you think of selling it remember I have the right of first refusal.

Got the OTHER '49 out today--first time in several years, I'm ashamed to say--because I'm having to relocate to another building. The wagon still isn't finished (back-up lights & wiring, some chrome pieces still off, interior not done), but maybe, just maybe I'll have it at Springfield, Missouri national meet next year. That is a good goal to have and should be do-able. Have been working on this car off and on for ten years now.

Jerry--yes, you have right of first refusal on the Super sedan.

post-32059-143142477612_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143142477637_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143142477661_thumb.jpg

Guest 4 bufords

will be looking

Got the OTHER '49 out today--first time in several years, I'm ashamed to say--because I'm having to relocate to another building. The wagon still isn't finished (back-up lights & wiring, some chrome pieces still off, interior not done), but maybe, just maybe I'll have it at Springfield, Missouri national meet next year. That is a good goal to have and should be do-able. Have been working on this car off and on for ten years now.

Jerry--yes, you have right of first refusal on the Super sedan.

will bee looking for the wagon in springfield,4 bufords from ct

Guest Jerry Courson

I didn't know you had the wagon. I'm looking forward to seeing it. Make sure to don't "borrow" parts from the sedan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...