1959 dynaflow ring gear replacement question

Guest rluke

Guest rluke

Hi. I have been trying to find some information on replacing the ring gear on the torque converter on my dynaflow. I am not sure if it is referred to as the ring gear or flywheel but it is the ring that makes contact with the starter. I have noticed that a few teeth are worn and I was wondering if the ring can be removed and turned around. Or can new rings be bought? My workshop manual is not that clear on if it is a separate item and I cant seem to find much on the net. I don't want to pull it apart until I have a clear picture of what can be done. Thank you for any responses, Rob

It's the flywheel that has the ring gear. There is a guy who advertises in the Buick Bugle who makes new ones. I have bought one from him before, and it was a good replacement. But yes, you can also flip it over if the teeth on the backside are still good, and you can take a file and file down any rough spots. Rob, did you finally get that wagon to Australia?

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Guest rluke

Thanks for the reply Pete. Yes the lesabre wagon finally turned up. Lots of problems but it is here now. I am now concentrating on getting it on the road. If I pull the front cover off the converter will the ring just come off and turn around? The teeth look good on the back. I am trying to be as economical as possible to get the car driving for now due to the costs of getting the car here and then I can use it as a driving project. Rob

1956 and earlier dynaflows had the ring gear on the flexplate. '57-63 had the ring gear on the converter. PN is 1186833 in my book. It looks like you may have to remove the converter and drive it off to the rear. Consult your 59 shop manual. I would guess it can be heated in an oven or with a rosebud torch and then drop it on. As such it may be reversible. Again, consult '57-63 shop manual to confirm, I don't have one.

Guest rluke

Thanks for the info. I had to remove the converter and then the ring came off with a bit of light tapping. Not too hard. The workshop manual doesn't appear to cover the ring itself, anyway I know now.