MASON-DIXON April 26th Car Collection Tour

dibarlaw

Members &Friends of The Mason-Dixon Buick Club

This is the April 26th tour as developed By Dick Beckley. Please try to attend as these two collections are reputed to be quite an experience. Please e-mail Dick Beckley with your RSVP (dbeckley@epix.net) so he has a head count to provide to the restaurants.

Look forward to spending the day with you.

RSVP Dick Beckley or Larry DiBarry

717-938-4975 717-263-3804

Karen and I had a chance today to do a dry run for the Sat. Apr. 26th tour of Calvin High’s and John Denlinger’s collection. We tried out the Bird-in-Hand smorgas board, after picking it from a small list of restaurants in the area, taking time, price, ability to serve in time, and location into the mix.

The food we had was good in mid-afternoon so it should be even better during the busy time as smorgas boards usually tend to be. Gluten free items are on the menu, as well as other dietary considerations. Priced at $13.99 for the complete buffet and $8.79 for the soup and salad bar, I considered it reasonable.

So with this done today the following schedule for the day is as follows:

8:30:  Leave Galleria Mall as a group. We will assemble in the eastern corner of the Mall parking lot between Boscov’s and the Hampton Inn & behind the Texas Roadhouse.

We will leave out of the Route 24 side of the mall turning right onto Route 24, going under Route 30 and turning left on US 30 East.

At 24.7 miles, take exit for Rt.340 East (Old Philadelphia Pike). At top of ramp at traffic light, turn left on 340 (Old Philadelphia Pike) go 1.8 miles to 3rd traffic light.

Turn right on Witmer Rd. In a very short distance take first right to 2370 Hobson Rd. The Denlinger Collection is on your left in 300 ft. There are 3 almost identical buildings, two on the street and one behind the other two and they are in a residential area and look like homes. There are two driveways into these buildings. We will need to pull in both and keep our cars tightened up close so as to preserve parking space. We will need to back out last car first when we leave this collection for our lunch break.

The trip to here from York should take about 40 minutes and touring this collection should take about 2 hours. We should plan on leaving for the Bird-in-Hand Smorgasboard around 11:45-12 noon.

Directions from Denlingers to Bird-in-Hand Restaurant are as follows:

From the Denlinger collection proceed back 300 feet to stop. Left on Witmer Rd. Right at stoplight onto Rt. 340 (Old Philadelphia Pike). Go approximately 1.9 miles, through the Village of Bird-in-Hand and the Smorgasboard is on your right. Park in the large parking lot wherever you can find a space. Enter the restaurant at the main entrance facing the highway. We should allow about 1, 1 1/2 hours for our lunch break here. More info on this later. I have to contact a tour manager concerning seating, etc.

At approximately 1:30-1:45, we will leave our lunch location for the Calvin High Collection. Directions to that are as follows:

Left out of parking lot onto 340 or try to exit out the back of the lot onto the side street that has a stoplight onto 340 as this is a busy pike and hard to turn left onto.

Proceeding on Rt. 340, cross over US 30 in about 1 mile and make a right turn at the first stop light onto Greenfield Rd. (another .4 mile)

Go thru a single lane underpass and continue over a single RR track turning right immediately after the RR crossing onto Independence Ct. Bear left almost immediately to 107 Independence Ct. This location is Cal High’s Collection.

It is a decorative block building with a beautiful Green Spanish Style Roof and a classic bell tower in front. Parking is tight but being a Saturday, you should be able to find close parking as this is an industrial park.   Calvin tells me that we should allow about 1 1/2 hours to tour his collection so you should be on your way home in the 3:30-4 PM range.

Upon leaving here just exit right onto Greenfield Rd. and cross over Rt.30 and make a left turn and down ramp onto 30. This is very easy.

I have copied both John and Calvin on this e-mail so if they have any comments or ideas for me to improve this instruction sheet, I will pass them on to all.

This serve as the instructions for this tour, so feel free to circulate or e-mail this to interested participants. I would like an approximate head count from the Cadillac folks, the York Club, and BOOM, as well as our Mason-Dixon Chapter by 

April 16th, so I can give the restaurant an idea of what we need set aside for us and also so I can give both John and Calvin an idea of how many folks will be on the tour.

I’m looking forward to running this tour and hope to as many of you participate as possible.

Dick Beckley or Larry DiBarry

717-938-4975 717-263-3804

I'm sure you don't mean R.S.V.P.

R.S.V.P. means that everyone who receives an

invitation MUST respond to you, out of courtesy,

so that you will know how many of the invited

guests will actually be appearing.

You probably meant to say, "For reservations

please call..." But all the best with your tour!