Knee Action A Frames - fixable? Replace

GarageStudios

Forum,

I'm trying to decide, which way to go on my "A-frame" knee action suspension.. Did I say that right? Sorry, don't know what they are called...

I am cleaning, repairing and painting the frame, making sure all bushings are replaced... When working on the front suspension, I decided to start inspecting the knees... Very rusty, dirty but solid underneath as I began cleaning..

my question is, should I keep going? Are the parts easy to replace? Or should I just replace the unit in whole?

how do I measure the size when going the new route?

any advice and recommendations welcomed and appreciated...

post-74294-143142464255_thumb.jpg

In addition, could someone describe the correct part names for me? You may prefer to send me a message for details..

Im searching and found many references to Dubonnet front suspension, but the pics dont match up, I have "a-arms" with a knee action on top?

post-74294-143142464244_thumb.jpg

post-74294-14314246425_thumb.jpg

Edited by CDN224 (see edit history)

Is you question about the wear parts (bushings), the A-frames themselves, or the knee-action shock? The A-frames should not need replacement if they are not damaged or badly rusted. The bushings are normal wear items replaced as part of a rebuild (as are the kingpins). There are numerous vendors who rebuild the shocks. If you are in a hurry, they probably exchange shocks for popular models.

The shocks don't wear out, but the oil seals can wear and leak. They must be kept full of fluid, if it leaks out too fast they need to be rebuilt which is not cheap.

The rest of the suspension, such as king pins and bushings, can be repaired or replaced. If it is the same as Chev suspension the parts should be available. Did you check for wear before you took the suspension off? If they are greased regularly they will last indefinitely.

King pin kits and bushing kits are available for all popular cars including those from the thirties and they are not expensive. That is why I asked if your Pontiac shared Chev suspension, in that case it will be easy and cheap to get parts.

If the seals, pins and bushings are worn might as well replace them while you have it apart. I would clean and paint the suspension then take it to an auto machine shop and have them press out the old pins and bushings and install the new ones. They can hone the bushings to a perfect fit on their wrist pin hone.