65 Riv Insigna on wood trim.

Rufcar

I pulled my drivers door panel today to replace the under arm rest plastics and decided to just do everything. Being a wood worker by trade I was going to save the original veneers but it will take me a very long time to do that either way I still need to remove the R insignia and I see there's not much holding it on. Once removed what are others doing to reinstall it?

Ok update. I purchased the wood from Clarks as I knew they made it and the fit so far has been spot on. When I removed the insignia I used a very small semi sharp chisel and hammered lightly all around each post. So by doing this it pushed up the metal towards the center and then I used a very thin finish nail and hit it lightly down the center of the post to remove the insignia. Knowing that todays veneers are a bit thinner I reinstalled the insignia by setting the entire piece upside down on a raised piece of flat steel then using a thin punch with a sharp point I hit the center lightly then tilted the punch at about a 60 degree angle and proceeded to hit and go in a circle causing the raised top of the post to "SET" on to the metal now it all appears like factory.

Here is step one: Using a small flat punch or chisel tap all sides until the flattened area is pushed upward.post-98875-143142468273_thumb.jpg

Step 2 using a much smaller punch with a point tap insignia at all 3 points until you push it through. Make sure you have some blocking underneath to accept the light hamming and make sure the blocking is away from the insignia so the insignia can push through. post-98875-143142468285_thumb.jpg

#3 Using a pliers with a flat non serrated area squeeze lightly and turn the insignia around so you are actually rounding the post flat but it is also making it slightly longer.

post-98875-143142468291_thumb.jpg

#4 after inserting the insignia into the new wood laying the panel face down on a cotton cloth over a piece of hardwood you can then use the another pointed punch with a point small enough to fit the center pin hole in the post but the punch should have a lager flat area as in the picture to help push the edge of the post outward. You can do this at about a 60 degree angle too tapping outward. When lightly secure use a small ball peen hammer to flatten out the post flush. post-98875-143142468294_thumb.jpg

#5 Finished panel with new wood and polished framework installed ready to put on door.

post-98875-143142468296_thumb.jpg

This was preformed today but using both panels for taking pictures for this series since one panel was already complete. The circle in the one pic was there when I removed the panel. It must have been there since the car was built in 65.