Installing window glass

Guest jgmun

Guest jgmun

I would like directions on how to install windshield seal and rear window seal and what to use for sealant on a 40 Lincoln Zephyr.

I do not know first hand, I had a car glass shop replace my de-laminated/bubbled windshield 29 years ago. I hear stories with some cars that you get two guys on their back in the front seat with feet on plywood on the the windshield and push the old one out with their legs. But that would make me nervous if you were trying to save it, and I don't know if that will work on our Zephyr seal design. I also hear salvage yards use paint/decal remover aerosols (nasty stuff-careful) to dissolve the seal, and then the window comes out easier. Anyone ever removed a windshield themselves? Paul

I just read an old Thread saved in my binder from Rolf and others "Windshield Rubber Replacement from june 15, 2001- it sounds like it comes out from the inside, and easy to break, easier done if while engine out . You may want to do a thread Search on this web page and see how far back you can go, there are probably several other threads as well. Paul

Guest 65Starfire
I do not know first hand, I had a car glass shop replace my de-laminated/bubbled windshield 29 years ago. I hear stories with some cars that you get two guys on their back in the front seat with feet on plywood on the the windshield and push the old one out with their legs. But that would make me nervous if you were trying to save it, and I don't know if that will work on our Zephyr seal design. I also hear salvage yards use paint/decal remover aerosols (nasty stuff-careful) to dissolve the seal, and then the window comes out easier. Anyone ever removed a windshield themselves? Paul

For the Windshield - Cut the old rubber out of the way with a utility knife and soften the rubber with alcohol if need. Gently work it out of the opening with even pressure if you are trying to save it. Cut the old seal off and install a new one on the glass with a long piece of sash cord set in the seal to pull the seal around the lip. Use something like 3M 08509 Glazing sealant in the weatherstripping channels for a sealant prior to installing the glass.

Edited by 65Starfire (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
The windshield and rear window glass are removed and replaced from the inside of the car. The seal is installed on the glass and then installed as a unit. install with sealer and held in placed by the metal molding .

Tom, I know this is an old thread but I'm replacing my '37 windshield this afternoon. I removed the windshield as you have noted from the inside AFTER removing the metal trim. Am I to assume that a cord is not necessary for installation?? I have the gasket installed on the glass and sealed/glued the glass in the gasket channel. I've taped the window to the glass to insure it's bond.

Now I just need to install it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated by anyone that has done this before. Thank you in advance.

post-51224-143142909291_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...