Early 1904 engines - difference between the 5Hp, 7Hp and 10Hp

Guest Henry8601

Guest Henry8601

This is my first post, so hello from the UK! (I hope I am putting this post in the correct place!)

I am currently investigating a 1904 Model N (Touring Runabout) Oldsmobile and I have a few question on the engines:

According to an Oldsmobile Advance Circular (attached), around this time the following single cylinder cars were produced:

• Oldsmobile Standard runabout (Curved Dash)- 7Hp
  • Oldsmobile Touring runabout (Model N, "French Front") - 7Hp
  • Oldsmobile Light Tonneau (Model T, "French Front") - 10Hp

post-100208-143142463001_thumb.jpg

post-100208-143142463005_thumb.jpg

post-100208-143142463007_thumb.jpg

What is the difference between the engines, and how could you tell which one you have, and how could it be dated - does anyone have more information on this?

Many thanks,

Henry

• 3 weeks later...

As nobody has replied to this I had a look in my copy of The Standard Catalog of American Cars and found some of the answers. The pre 1904 cars used a bore and stroke of 4 1/2" x 6". For 1904 the 7 hp the bore was increased to 5". The 10hp model had a bore of 5 1/2". The 20hp mentioned in the circular is listed in the Standard Catalog as being 1905 (a one season only model) and had a horizontally opposed twin of 5 1/4" x 6". All outputs are at 600 rpm. There is no mention of a Model N. The designations used are Model R for the pre 1904 models, 6C or CDO for the 1904 (from April 1904) version and TR for the touring runabout. It would seem that the 1904 model engine was unique as there were changes to the design for 1905, particularly to the connecting rod and the water jacketing. Any more correct information would have to come from an expert.

Guest Henry8601

nzcarnerd, that you for all the information, that is really useful. The model N that I referred to is the touring runabout.

I am very interested to hear that the engines are different for 1904 and 1905. Do you have any idea as to the differences in the connecting rod and water jacketing, and where did you get this information?

Henry8601, in reply to your question; that was all in The Standard Catalog of American Cars. I did speak to an owner of an Olds here in NZ who said the differences were in the main bearings not the conrods, but I cannot speak from direct experience with the cars. There is more here - http://clubs.hemmings.com/cdoclub/ I note in the CDO club info that the Model N is mentioned as a 1905 model and there is a difference of rearward and forward facing cylinders. I suggest you enquire further there.