Bumper on rear of pickup roadster

Guest AlCapone

Guest AlCapone

I know that a 1929 Pickup Open Cab ( Roadster ) did not come with a rear bumper. I have seen photos where people have installed rear bumpers and I would like to do likewise. Does anyone know where I might purchase brackets to instal the bumpers which I will buy from Snyders or A and L. Will brackets from some other Model A fit without doing a custom fabrication ? Thanks,Wayne

Wayne- You'll have to get some Model A passenger car rear bumper brackets and adapt them. Very simple to do. The long part remains the same-it attaches to the frame and runs to the rear of the truck and the bumpers fit onto it. There are a couple of small uprights that will have to be removed from the original brackets and new ones will have to be fabricated that go from the long arms to the bed subframe. Here are a pair of original rear bumper brackets. You can see the small upright pieces, these are what you would remove and change out. If you can use these, I'll take 40.00 plus shipping for them. They will need to be sandblasted, of course, but will clean up well. Email me at motoringicons@hotmail.com or call 734-730-4274 if you have any questions.

post-31738-143142462991_thumb.jpg

post-31738-143142462992_thumb.jpg

post-31738-143142462995_thumb.jpg

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

Thank you for the quick response. I will show the post to my mechanic on the weekend and see what he says. Again I say thank you.

Wayne

Any of the rear bumper brackets fit all "A" car or pickup frames so installation is simply bolting them in place. It's almost redundant to install rear bumpers on a pickup as they do not extend past the end of the bed. Anything you hit or hits you will strike the bed first!

Guest AlCapone
Any of the rear bumper brackets fit all "A" car or pickup frames so installation is simply bolting them in place. It's almost redundant to install rear bumpers on a pickup as they do not extend past the end of the bed. Anything you hit or hits you will strike the bed first!

Thanks jpage. That is what I was hoping to accomplish. The one picture I saw on Fordbarn looked like it extended maybe 6 inches further back than the tailgate. I will try to send him a personal message. Thanks again, Wayne

Guest AlCapone
I could be wrong on the bumper extension. Seems I remember seeing some that did not extend past the bed.

Jpage. I hope you are wrong as I do want to protect the back of the truck. Thanks for the opinion as you now have me researching first. Regards, Wayne

Guest AlCapone
Wayne- You'll have to get some Model A passenger car rear bumper brackets and adapt them. Very simple to do. The long part remains the same-it attaches to the frame and runs to the rear of the truck and the bumpers fit onto it. There are a couple of small uprights that will have to be removed from the original brackets and new ones will have to be fabricated that go from the long arms to the bed subframe. Here are a pair of original rear bumper brackets. You can see the small upright pieces, these are what you would remove and change out. If you can use these, I'll take 40.00 plus shipping for them. They will need to be sandblasted, of course, but will clean up well. Email me at motoringicons@hotmail.com or call 734-730-4274 if you have any questions.

i have not forgotten about you. My mechanic is attempting to find a good picture of a rear bumper installation to see if it extends beyond the tailgate if not it defeats my purpose.

thanks Wayne

Guest gnormoyle

I have a set of rear numbers that I just removed from my roadster pickup with all the correct brackets and braces.

i would be willing to sell them for less than Snyder's would charge. They are in Los Angeles. Send me a PM or call me at 213-434-0151

Guest AlCapone
I have a set of rear numbers that I just removed from my roadster pickup with all the correct brackets and braces.

i would be willing to sell them for less than Snyder's would charge. They are in Los Angeles. Send me a PM or call me at 213-434-0151[/

I have sent you a private message. For everyone's information, did the bumper extend beyond the tailgate ?

Thanks, Wayne

• 3 weeks later...