53 chieftain power steering?

Guest chevypowa

Guest chevypowa

new to this forum just picked up a 53 chieftain deluxe that now has a chevy 350 in it i was looking for any help or suggestions in switching it to power steering. dont know if im better off to find a factory setup or if a more modern setup will work on it also it now has a 12 volt battery in it what is involved with making the 6 volt components work with it any help would be appreciated

Guest chevypowa

Sorry that was a separate problem should have written it that way I ment as far as gauges an lights an stuff like that what work I have to change an I've decided to keep the manual steering anyway but I didn't want to damage anything 6 volt by running 12 volts thru it

Guest chevypowa

Okay thanks and is there any aftermarket companys that make wiring harnesses for these cars? Seems like the stop at 55 somebody butchered the one in my car I mostly just need the gauges and lights

Have the front end gone over, worn parts replaced, and an alignment done. I know people who have cars of similar age who had this done and it took away all desire for power steering.

If it has tubular shock absorbers have new ones installed, if it has lever action, top up the fluid.

If it has radial tires pump them up to 32 PSI.