Pinstripng

Landman

I have one of those. Its fun to play with for sure.

As far as mastering the technique it depends on your own talent. I would not attempt to do anything on a car that I like. LOL

There is an optional magnetic strip and a guide attachment on the tool that may be of help on long lines, buy not for clumsy me.

If you are concerned about needing a steady hand - something which I don't have :(, you can get tape which is designed for painted on striping. It is called stencil tape. You select the tape with the width of pinstripe you want, apply it to the car, then peel out the pinstripe section of the tape and paint that part. This is an example:

www.finessepinstriping.com

Terry

If you are concerned about needing a steady hand - something which I don't have :(, you can get tape which is designed for painted onnstriping. It is called stencil tape. You select the tape with the width of pinstripe you want, apply it to the car, then peel out the pinstripe section of the tape and paint that part. This is an example:

www.finessepinstriping.com

Terry

The problem with pinstriping stencil tape is the ragged edge that's left. Not the best look. I also agree on the Beugler tool. I've had one for decades, and I've used it (along with the magnetic guide) with some success. It looks OK, but a proper, hand-laid pinstripe definitely looks better.

Thanks guys. Here's my dilemma:

The closest pro is 500 miles away, a $1000+ trip with truck & trailer. + his fee.

I had done my model A with tape . They were actual pinstriping tapes not stencils, and they did leave a not so sharp edge.

post-59904-143142462015_thumb.jpg

The ones suggested by Terry look good in their website at least and would be the most expedient way.

I'm not sure if I'm up to practising either the Buegler or freehand.

post-59904-143142462012_thumb.jpg

Well, that changes things of course, if you have no pinstripe artist within reasonable distance. That's a shame, to me part of the charm of a pinstripe is seeing that it was done by a craftsman, not by a piece of tape......

We have a fellow locally who does pinstriping for us every now and then. Amazing to watch. He will spend an hour telling us how hard it will be and he's not sure he can do it to suit us and fusses and bothers and stares at the car from every possible angle then frets and fusses some more. Eventually he puts a few chalk marks on the body as guides, picks up his sword tailed brush and lays down a stripe that just amazes me. He even did hand painted "caning" for us on the doors of a '28 Caddy and striping, engine turning and gold leaf on a fire engine. I don't think it is a skill you can ever get really good at without having been born with a great deal of artistic talent. We have used the tape on occasion and carefully done it doesn't leave a ragged edge but it's way too uniform and doesn't have that hand striped look. Never tried the Buegler.

Thanks guys. Here's my dilemma:

The closest pro is 500 miles away, a $1000+ trip with truck & trailer. + his fee.

Look for shops that specialize in big rigs. Often, they will have a line on someone who does pinstriping. That person may not be a pinstriping "pro", but I'll bet he's pretty darn good.

Yep, R32, that's how pinstripers operate...two hours of set up and complaining, lots of mixing paint and looking at squirrel tail brushes, shaking hands and all....then they lay the tip of the brush to the car and it's amazing....

Check out your local volunteer fire department, assuming they have such in Canada. Volunteer fireman love to have their rigs decorated with pin striping, gold leaf and such, though much of it these days is done in vinyl.

Look for shops that specialize in big rigs. Often, they will have a line on someone who does pinstriping. That person may not be a pinstriping "pro", but I'll bet he's pretty darn good.

Another place to try are motorcycle shops. They often have people that do the work for them on big touring bikes and Harley customs.

The comments about their methods is spot-on. They make a lot of noise and then do fantastic work.

Terry

I have seen the Brugler tool and pin striping brush methods both used, and it actually looks easier to do it with the brushes.

The guy I had do my BMW 633 CSi would not come as far as my location, but he did have jobs where he came about half the distance. He ended up doing my car in the parking lot of a super market about a block from his closest location. The cost for a triple strip the length of the car on both sides was $150 two years ago.

Prior to contacting the guy that ended up doing my car I talked with local striper that did cars with the tape method. This is the tape method where they apply the tape, paint between the tape strips, then remove the tape. He admitted I would not be satisfied with anything except the striping brush method for an antique car.

If I could not find someone then I would buy the striping brushes, some 1 shot striping paint, and the other supplies and practice on some glass until I had it down and then give it a try.

I am sure there are some videos on You Tube demonstrating how to do this.

Visit my new and improved website at: www.jakegingervila.wix.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Pinstriping is an art that can be learned, but the key word in that is "art"....one has to have an eye for a line, and be able to communicate that to a hand motion that produces a nice painted line....not to mention the correct brush that holds a lot of paint and the correct consistency of the paint and.....well, you get the picture....

It's 90% mental preparation and 10% actual work, but when done correctly, the work is incredible.....

The fellow who did my Pierce drove 350 miles total, spent 4 hours in my garage, laid down stripes that I treasure, was blind in one eye (seriously), and I think the bill was $300 or so...he might be more expensive now....what a bargain...he's in the Roanoke Virginia area if anyone needs it done...here's his website, he's an artist...

http://www.welloiledmachines.com/