64 with 425 and rochester carb

Guest Coupfive

I've got my '64 chassis manual in front of me and there is no Rochester carb shown for a 425, only for the 401 auto (trans), 300 sync, and 300 auto. That carb # for the 401 auto is 7024040. There are six float level adjustments shown. Primary and secondary. Heel, toe, and drop for each. If you'll let me know which one you need, I'll get that to you. What you need to make sure of is that you have the carb # I posted. If it's a different carb # it could have different levels of adjustment. There are five Carter AFB's shown for '64. One for the 401, one for the 425 auto, one for the 425 sync, one for the 425 2x4 front (auto and sync), and one for the 425 2x4 auto-rear and the 5th one for the 425 2x4 sync-rear.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest Coupfive

Engine block # is 7K1120064. The id tag is missing so I have no clue as to the carb # . Engine has 465 decal which is a 425 motor.

post-99946-143142462222_thumb.jpg

You won't be able to order a kit w/o a carb number. As I said, the Rochester 4GC was not a 425 carb. Carbs can be swapped as easily as anything. One doesn't work, so you find a different one that works and bolt it on and drive it.

Does this engine block number match your VIN? You could have a completely different motor in your car. The air cleaner and decal could be the only original things in the engine compartment. The engine may been out of the car at some time because it's not the correct color, it should be green.

Look to the left of the number you pictured and find the two letter engine ID code. It should be a KT, if not, it's not a '64 425.

If you need a reference picture to find the code, let me know. If you find it and it's not KT, let us know and we'll tell you what it is.

I can tell you this about the number you posted: 7 is for a Riviera, K is for '64, and 1 is for Flint, MI. so it probably is a 425. ALL Rivieras were built in Flint. The other six numbers are the serial number but serial numbers include all Buicks for 1964.

The Fisher Data plate on the firewall above the brake booster will tell you the date your car was built, the FB (Flint sequence number for Rivieras), the exterior and interior colors, and options that were installed or modifications to the body that were made at Flint before the body was taken to final assembly.

If the Engine ID code and your VIN match, you might want to consider finding a Carter AFB #3665S. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUICK-401-425ci-AFB-CARTER-CARBURETOR-3665S-AF4-1964-/310891155727?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item48628e910f&vxp=mtr

or see if one of the vendors who advertise in the back of the Riview might have one. Much easier to rebuild and better performing (I think), and the really nice thing is that the Carter has no gaskets below the float level; you'll never lead gas on a hot engine.

Ed

Guest Coupfive
post-99946-143142462884_thumb.jpg The numbers match. It was rebuilt in 1991. I did get a kit and had to order 2 additional gaskets that match and a matching accelerator pump. So all thats left is to adjust floats. I will look tomorrow on the left side of engine block. Carb ran good on it, but what started this all was I was fixing the air cleaner hold down screw. Had to use JB weld. Then thought why not clean and rebuild the damn thing.

post-99946-143142462883_thumb.jpg

Can you post a picture of the 4GC on the intake - no air cleaner - with all of the linkages connected ? I'm thinking that if the carb linkage has the correct kick down roller on it, the carb that you now have probably came from a '64 401. If that's the case, then I can get the float specs for you. I'm running a 401 Carter on my 425 and I don't think I can tell the difference. If I remember correctly, the jets in the secondaries are perhaps. .002" smaller. Not a big deal.

There's no need to look at the other side of the block. Your VIN and the Engine Serial Number match (pictures from post 3 and post 5.) You have the original engine and ALL 1964 Rivieras came with a 425 from the factory.

Ed

Guest Coupfive
Can you post a picture of the 4GC on the intake - no air cleaner - with all of the linkages connected ? I'm thinking that if the carb linkage has the correct kick down roller on it, the carb that you now have probably came from a '64 401. If that's the case, then I can get the float specs for you. I'm running a 401 Carter on my 425 and I don't think I can tell the difference. If I remember correctly, the jets in the secondaries are perhaps. .002" smaller. Not a big deal.

There's no need to look at the other side of the block. Your VIN and the Engine Serial Number match (pictures from post 3 and post 5.) You have the original engine and ALL 1964 Rivieras came with a 425 from the factory.

Ed

post-99946-143142463106_thumb.jpg

post-99946-143142463061_thumb.jpg

post-99946-143142463084_thumb.jpg

That little roller on the linkage that's "west" and "south" of the ball stud is used to depress the kickdown switch as it's located on a '64. Looks like you're good to go with this carb. As soon as I get home this evening, I'll scan and post the page from the '64 Chassis manual that covers carburetor settings.

Ed

Guest Coupfive
That little roller on the linkage that's "west" and "south" of the ball stud is used to depress the kickdown switch as it's located on a '64. Looks like you're good to go with this carb. As soon as I get home this evening, I'll scan and post the page from the '64 Chassis manual that covers carburetor settings.

Ed

Hey Ed were you able to find the page with carb settings?

John

Guest Coupfive
John,

I got called out of town over the week-end. By the time I got back on Monday night, it had completely slipped my mind. I'll get it for you tomorrow. The Royals just won in 11 and I need to get this old body to bed.

Ed

No worries! Appreciate your support.