cowl tag and photos 1956 oldsmobile

Guest samlavere

Guest samlavere

Hi. I just bought this 1956 Oldsmobile 88 and got it home today. The vin number is 568W6192, so I believe that means 1956 model 8 made in Wentzville vehicle number 6192. I also believe it to be a 88 series sedan or 88 series deluxe holiday sedan. I'm not sure what the "holiday" meant. This is the cowl tag info....

Style no. 56-3639 SD

Body no. BW 2212

Trim no. 371

Paint no. 10

Acc D3

If I'm correct, it means..

Style: 1956 "Super 88" Holiday Sedan

Body: BW=Wentzville and production #2212

Trim: 371=?

Paint: 10=?

Top: (blank=not convertable)

Acc: D3=?

Any more info on the cowl tag would help a lot and be very much appreciated. The interior is black and white and I believe it is original. The white paint is pealing and there is black underneath, so I don't think the white was original.

Thankyou

Sampost-100178-143142460959_thumb.jpg

Edited by samlavere (see edit history)

Don't mind Glenn, he goes a little goofy on us every now and again. SD didn't denote power windows/seat. The code for that equipment was an X in the body style number - but not in all of them...

The D in SD is for DeLuxe, which in your case translates to a Super 88. Non Super 88s (base 88s) did not have the D. For some reason, Holiday models acquired an S in the style number.

I don't have the information here to decode the trim code, but it would imagine 371 is for Ivory leather bolsters with Black pattern cloth.

Paint code 10 is for solid Black. No two tone, not even the roof.

I can tell you what D3 means, but not right this moment. Something radio related. Power antenna or rear seat speaker, maybe.

Paul