Who made this steam car engine?

Guest normanbolz

Guest normanbolz

Seems to say ALco on the steam chest.

About 20% larger than my Locomobile engine.

Any references appreciated.

post-100172-14314246078_thumb.jpg

post-100172-143142460786_thumb.jpg

From Wicked-pedia

The American Locomotive Company, often shortened to ALCO, ALCo or Alco, designed, built and sold steam locomotives, diesel-electric locomotives, diesel engines and generators, specialized forgings, high quality steel, armed tanks and automobiles and produced nuclear energy. The American Locomotive Company was formed in 1901 by the merger of Schenectady Locomotive Engine Manufactory of Schenectady, New York with seven smaller locomotive manufacturers. The American Locomotive Automobile Company subsidiary designed and manufactured automobiles under the Alco brand from 1905-1913 and produced nuclear energy from 1954-1962. The company changed its name to Alco Products, Incorporated in 1955. In 1964 the Worthington Corporation acquired the company. The company became defunct in 1969

So looking around I can't find proof of Alco creating a steam automobile. Could that engine be a drive unit for something else?

Edited by sambarn
More research -better answer. (see edit history)

Guest normanbolz
Well, there was an Alco automobile...

ALCO definitely made fine automobiles later in its existance.

However, they were massive gasoline powered automobiles.

These are well documented sin any mention of a steam predecessor.

I would think this motor is 1900 -1906 era at the latest.

Guest normanbolz

The engine appears to have been mounted in a verticle position with the Stephenson linkage to reverse.

Wrong orientation for marine use or as accessory drive. Has its own water pump which implies its own

boiler.....but who knows? The "monogram" does not seem to be attached to American Locomotive

Company as they used a simple and impressive heavy block ALCO. Thanks for the input.

Guest normanbolz
I wonder if this was from a track car for doing railroad maintenance.

Great idea. I have tried to contact the ALCO museum with no response. Thought it probably did not come from

a locomotive. The gentleman I acquired it from coincidentally had a couple of track cars in his storage/collection.

Yet, he bought it from a genltleman who collected farm engines. I responded earlier but I think I pushed the wrong button.

Thanks again everyone.

Perhap's it's from a small Alco "yard" or "pusher" engine?

I have a 1913 Alco car catalogue and there's nothing remotely similar (including logo) to this engine........

By the way, in 1913 Alco bragged they were the most expensive auto in America!

Dale

Guest normanbolz

Thanks for the input! Finally got in touch with the ALCO museum guys who are unaware of any such motor or logo.

The engine is about 30" long and is probably 6-8 HP steam at the most. I don't really see it being capable of much.

1913 LOCO....that is a car!

• 3 weeks later...

This is an Acme automobile engine made by Rochester Machine Tool Works Ltd. 4 Commercial St. Rochester N.Y. This was available in 5, 8, 10 and 12 H.P. In 1902 a new model with different frame was made. This engine was announced in Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal in December 1900. It is a 5 H.P. if it is a 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" and is built to stand a working pressure of 250 Lbs. and should weigh 54 Lbs. It was sold to be used in many different steam cars as mentioned in the ad for the later engine.

• 6 years later...
On 5/1/2014 at 1:02 AM, rcr said:

I just came across another engine with the same monogram. I have attached pictures.

I read the attached reference to the Acme automobile . I tried to find the articel in the December 1900 edition of Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal, but it is not available online. Would  member RRC have any more details on it.

Thanks

This is an Acme automobile engine made by Rochester Machine Tool Works Ltd. 4 Commercial St. Rochester N.Y. This was available in 5, 8, 10 and 12 H.P. In 1902 a new model with different frame was made. This engine was announced in Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal in December 1900. It is a 5 H.P. if it is a 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" and is built to stand a working pressure of 250 Lbs. and should weigh 54 Lbs. It was sold to be used in many different steam cars as mentioned in the ad for the later engine.

Steam engine-1.JPG

Steam engine-2.JPG

Steam engine-3.JPG

Steam engine-4.JPG

Edited by swalker616 (see edit history)

I'm puzzled by this thread's somewhat wondering nature. The interlocking letters in the logo of the original posted photos are clearly ALCO, suggesting the manufacturer of that piece of casting. Not sure where the ACME connection comes in (see rcr comment of May 2014 above), I know ACME was a large multi-product manufacturing operation way back, even supplied products for Wile E Coyote for use on Road Runners! Regardless, great looking machinery, whether automotive or industrial. Quite possible ACME and ALCO were partners at some point.