looking for 1991 Reatta wheels

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

thinking of upgrading the tires on my 90 coupe. I found out that the proper way is with 16 inch wheels. Money is tight right now, if someone has a set please let me know. Or can someone tell me approximately what they go for so I can decide if it is possible.

Thanks

Richard

Richard,

To give you an idea of price, there are 16" Reatta wheels on EBay for $140 each being sold by a former forum member. Please note: I have no affiliation with this vendor.

Edited by DShip (see edit history)

Check with Jim and Marck for sure. However, do also consider Steve's wheels on presently on ebay. His asking price is about what it would cost to have rims refinished (per wheel) so buying a cheaper set that might need refinishing (depends on how particular you are) may not be the best option cost-wise. I have purchased some chrome wheels and custom centers from him previously and he is a fair and legit vendor, as are both Jim and Marck of course.

I only point this out because he seemed to get beat up on here and that's a shame since he does have a supply of very good quality parts. That makes him an assett to the Reatta owning community at large, despite any differences of opinion or preconceived notions one may have.

One other thing: the wheels are easier to find than the center caps. You will probably do better getting reproduction centers. Of course, these will cost almost as much as the wheels unless you find the rims cheap.

KDirk

FWIW...Steve also has center caps. Some are OEM and some are reproduced. Good luck if you can tell the difference.

Check with Jim and Marck for sure. However, do also consider Steve's wheels on presently on ebay. His asking price is about what it would cost to have rims refinished (per wheel) so buying a cheaper set that might need refinishing (depends on how particular you are) may not be the best option cost-wise. I have purchased some chrome wheels and custom centers from him previously and he is a fair and legit vendor, as are both Jim and Marck of course.

I only point this out because he seemed to get beat up on here and that's a shame since he does have a supply of very good quality parts. That makes him an assett to the Reatta owning community at large, despite any differences of opinion or preconceived notions one may have.

One other thing: the wheels are easier to find than the center caps. You will probably do better getting reproduction centers. Of course, these will cost almost as much as the wheels unless you find the rims cheap.

KDirk

Guest HessLakeGuy

I took one of my my bad 1991 wheels and made a spare out of it. The really, really bad ones got scrapped, sold a few and the rest are either on my 1991 or up in the garage ceiling.

Those wheels can take up a lot of floor space if you let them......

Tom

OK... Where exactly is the measurement for the width of the rim taken?

A guy asks what the width of the rim is and my tape measure says just under 7 inches and this is what I report.

When I did it last night I thought I'd better take a picture to post but didn't. So I took a couple tonight as seen below.

As you can see the width is as I reported it to be. Being a curious guy I decided to measure the Diameter of the rim and come to find out that it's not even a 15 inch rim... its 16 and 5/16 inches. Apparently the folks who measure rims for cars are the same ones who came up with the system for measuring lumber. :eek:

post-67519-143142465282_thumb.jpg

John F.

post-67519-143142465269_thumb.jpg

post-67519-143142465274_thumb.jpg

post-67519-143142465277_thumb.jpg

Edited by Machiner 55 (see edit history)

OK... Where exactly is the measurement for the width of the rim taken?

Inside of the flanges - where the bead rides.

... Apparently the folks who measure rims for cars are the same ones who came up with the system for measuring lumber. :eek:

:)

• 1 month later...
Guest rayray1962
thinking of upgrading the tires on my 90 coupe. I found out that the proper way is with 16 inch wheels. Money is tight right now, if someone has a set please let me know. Or can someone tell me approximately what they go for so I can decide if it is possible.

Thanks

Richard

Hey Richard... I have a 91' Reatta w/16's with 3 week old tires for 160 ea..

I am waiting for my 20's for the car!!

Guest Corvanti

i'd like to see some pics of both wheels.:)

i think "Tire Rack" still has a decent assortment of 15" tires, but haven't checked in a couple of months. they can also ship them to a local garage for mounting, etc. at a decent overall price...

i'd like to see some pics of both wheels.:)

Google is your friend. :)

The chrome versions of the wheels that came on the '91 Reatta were an option on the '95-'99 Riviera, '97-2000 Park Ave, and 2002 Lesabre. They are 6.5" wide, rather than 7". And yes, a lot of them still around. The center caps are harder to find though - unless you go aftermarket.

You could always run with these center caps until you could find some (or some reproductions). You could even run these caps between meets or on road trips and then slip the correct ones on for judging, if that is important to you.

Those chrome wheels were never a factory option on Reattas. They weren't even manufactured until 4 years after the Reatta was discontinued. So if doing well in a BCA 400 point judging is ones goal, they are incorrect regardless of year. Same with placing '91 Reatta wheels on an earlier Reatta. ('90 Select 60 excepted.)

... Does it make sense to pay more for the in demand correct 1991 16" wheel when you can scrounge a little and get a sweet set of Riviera chrome ones?

Everyone has to answer that for themselves. I would only want correct '91 wheels if I owned a '91. If I were to consider buying a '91, lack of proper wheels and caps would probably be a deal breaker - or at least a significant negotiating point. But that is me.