'41 LCC Air Cleaner Innards

rockitdoc

Hi,

I'm restoring my Dad's '41 LCC and have a question about what goes inside the air cleaner housing and how the lid goes on. Right now, I just have a nut to keep the lid from going down too far with a wing nut to hold it in place. But what does one use for a filter? I've heard Brillo pads work if oiled enough. Is that all there is to it? Just sandwich a bunch of Brillo pads between the housing and the lid?

S

post-62942-143142459914_thumb.jpg

Perfect timing as I am now installing the rebuilt engine in my '41 Continental.

A few years ago there was an article in TWOZ which about replacing the old style

filter element with a WIX paper filter, and I am about to try it, as my late father's car

is going to be DRIVEN. (a Lot)

Pictured is the original element which is heavy mesh copper? or bronze in a protective

screen mesh.

The next shots are of the complete assembly.

Mssr. Bwatoe has said he tried this and it didn't work for his car, but I'm going to give it a shot.

More to follow as I install the engine

Mike

post-39370-143142460206_thumb.jpg

post-39370-143142460209_thumb.jpg

post-39370-143142460211_thumb.jpg

Perfect timing as I am now installing the rebuilt engine in my '41 Continental.

A few years ago there was an article in TWOZ which about replacing the old style

filter element with a WIX paper filter, and I am about to try it, as my late father's car

is going to be DRIVEN. (a Lot)

Pictured is the original element which is heavy mesh copper? or bronze in a protective

screen mesh.

The next shots are of the complete assembly.

Mssr. Bwatoe has said he tried this and it didn't work for his car, but I'm going to give it a shot.

More to follow as I install the engine

Mike

Any idea what the Wix part no is? That looks like the ticket!

BTW, is there a nut on the underside of the lid to keep it from squishing the filter too much?

Edited by rockitdoc (see edit history)

Just an idea here. Have you thought of making your on filter media. Both copper gauze rolls and rolls of rustless bronze pads are available. The copper gauze roll is 5" wide and 100 feet long for about $30.00 from McMaster-Carr, p/n 6361T12. The bronze rolls are 2-1/2x4x100-120'. These rolls are offered in three grades. Cost is higher at about $100. P/n 7364T41 to 43. The outside wire looks to be common hardware cloth. Again, just an ideal.

A member sent me an old TWOZ (thanks Mike) that described modern paper air filters that fit. I got hold of one at NAPA yesterday (Wix 46094). The diameters fit perfectly, but the filter is too tall. I will have to cut it down to make it fit. I can do this with a cut-off wheel, no problem, but then the bottom (or top) of the filter will not have the rubber sealing ring anymore. So, I'm not sure this is the way to go unless there is a way to seal the cut-off filter somehow.

Edited by rockitdoc (see edit history)

Whew! Finally built the air filter. 3 hours time and about $8 worth of hardware. Lots of cutting and fitting/trimming, tying wire cloth. But, it sure looks cool. Copper against the black housing is sharp. A paper element would just be too easy. Probably filter better, though. I have my doubts about the oily copper keeping anything out of the carb except small birds and cobbles.

I hope it fits under the hood. I'd hate to crunch the new lid I just spent 20 hours restoring! My hood is already dented, so that's the next project.

post-62942-143142462328_thumb.jpg