1950 & other years?--Need Windshield Belt Molding Grommets

beerczar1976

I'm getting a water leak behind my dash and down the inside firewall. I do not believe it's the windshield gasket, but it's perhaps coming from the lower belt molding at the bottom edge of the windshield/upper cowl area. When I re-installed my belt molding last summer, the old grommets were no good, and the new grommets given to me by the prior owner were a bit on the small side and a different style. When putting the bolts back thru the holes, some of them pushed thru the cowl and fell inside the car up behind the dash somwhere. I tried to seal the bolt holes the best I could, but I'm still getting a leak. These are probably used on a bunch of years as well. Anyone seen these for sale anywhere before? I'm going to try to check auto parts stores for something that may work in the meantime. Don't remember seeing them at Rubber the Right Way, Steele, Bob's, Cars, etc. I'll try to find them in the parts book to see if other marquees used them. Thanks!!

Restoration Specialties has a page of "generic" grommets in their catalog. I may have to just use one of those. I'll measure the hole diameter and the bolt diameter and get something that matches up. The originals, if memory serves from last summer, were more conical shaped. Pointed at the bottom and oversized and oblong on the outside of the body. I know putting that molding back on was a total pain as I wasn't able to remove my windshield wiper burrs, thus I couldn't get the chrome kidney shaped plate off. It ended up being one of those hurry up and push everything into place once all of the bolts were lined up with the holes and held askew at a weird angle to get under the kidney plate. Once I get the grommets, I may try to remove those burrs again. With all of that stuff out of the way, I may be able to slide the belt molding back in place as originally intended...