The Year in Cars: 1962

Guest Magoo

I always thought that the 1962/63/64 Impala was every bit the looker and trend setter that the 1955/56/57 cars were (though obviously lacking in the mechanical innovation those cars represent), and that their collectivity would someday be similar (especially relative to the same year competitors). Sadly that never seemed to happen.

BTW, the "1962 Ford Falcon Ranchero" in the photo gallery is a 1961 model, as is the Plymouth Valiant. The Studebaker Lark is a 1963 model, as is the Datsun Fairlady 1500 (a.k.a. Sports 1500), the Jeep Wagoneer. and the Opel Rekord (the latter 3 being new designs for the 1963 model year).

Guest Magoo
I always thought that the 1962/63/64 Impala was every bit the looker and trend setter that the 1955/56/57 cars were (though obviously lacking in the mechanical innovation those cars represent), and that their collectivity would someday be similar (especially relative to the same year competitors). Sadly that never seemed to happen.

BTW, the "1962 Ford Falcon Ranchero" in the photo gallery is a 1961 model, as is the Plymouth Valiant. The Studebaker Lark is a 1963 model, as is the Datsun Fairlady 1500 (a.k.a. Sports 1500), the Jeep Wagoneer. and the Opel Rekord (the latter 3 being new designs for the 1963 model year).

Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated. There's a problem with the media tagging, sorting it out now.

Guest Magoo

Got it fixed now, thanks again for your help. Sharpshooters welcome!

Guest Skyking

I always thought the 1961 Impala had it all over the '62. The '62's were cheap looking inside and outside in comparison.

Guest Oldengineer

I remember 1962 well - got my drivers permit, and, got to drive my dad's brand new Olds 98. What a car!

Regards:

Oldengineer

One of my favorite cars of all time are the full-size '62 Pontiacs and I never owned one. Great looking cars.

Can't disagree with you there, I've got a 62 Catalina. For engine, transmission, rear end options plus a better frame, suspension, steering, brakes makes the Pontiac miles ahead of the Chevy. For that year virtually impossible to beat in NASCAR. Knudsen's last year to have a hand in guiding Pontiac to that #3 spot in sales which would last until 1970.

Guest Graham Clayton

Seeing that an English Ford Zephyr was mentioned, I'll mention my favourite Australian car from 1962 - the brand new EJ Holden. The EJ was a very modern looking car, compared to its predecessor, the 1950's looking EK Holden. Mechanically, the EJ was similar to the EK, but Holden needed to change styling to compete with the Chrysler Valiant R series and the Ford Falcon XL:

post-88629-143142466396_thumb.jpg

Guest Magoo
Seeing that an English Ford Zephyr was mentioned, I'll mention my favourite Australian car from 1962 - the brand new EJ Holden. The EJ was a very modern looking car, compared to its predecessor, the 1950's looking EK Holden. Mechanically, the EJ was similar to the EK, but Holden needed to change styling to compete with the Chrysler Valiant R series and the Ford Falcon XL:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]242895[/ATTACH]

I'm a fan, too. One year while covering the Gold Coast Indy race in Australia, I stayed at a hotel in Coolangatta, where every morning in the basement parking garage, I saw an immaculate Holden EJ station wagon, light metallic green with a white top. Apparently it had indoor storage there. I fell in love with the EJ that week. Photos don't do it justice. It's a very nicely proportioned vehicle with great surface development.

Thanks for posting that link. I enjoyed the web-site. As you can see by my screen name, I'm a 1961 Chevy guy, but I enjoy all sixties cars. I love the commercial art and photography they used to sell the cars back then. For 1962 I think GM and Ford had great styling, but the other companies were behind.