Identify autos in1936 car wreck, Denver, Colorado

Guest missM

Guest missM

The description with the picture says 1936 car wreck, Denver, Colorado. It looks like the plate on the rear car is 1936 New York, and maybe a Colorado plate on the car up in the air. The rear car is like a 1935 Ford? enough of the other car to determine? Thanks for any help.

post-88816-143142457989_thumb.png

I think it was the other way around. Looks like the Dodge rear ended the Ford. Either way it's kind of amazing the headlamp survived.

I think that since there is no front end damage to the Dodge, the Ford "ran down the side of it" from the rear to the front.....parked car syndrome. You can also see damage farther back on the Dodge hood.

I think that since there is no front end damage to the Dodge, the Ford "ran down the side of it" from the rear to the front.....parked car syndrome. You can also see damage farther back on the Dodge hood.

You are absolutely right about that. It makes total sense to me now.

Guest missM

At first glance, I imagined the Dodge running into the back of the Ford as well. But looking at the details, the Dodge being parked and getting hit in like a glancing blow by the Ford looks more likely. Like maybe the Ford was avoiding something, or missed a corner and ran up on the Dodge. There is a skid mark that looks like it's from the left front tire of the Ford on the pavement as well.

Mostly though, I can't figure how it happened more than that guess.

At first glance, I imagined the Dodge running into the back of the Ford as well. But looking at the details, the Dodge being parked and getting hit in like a glancing blow by the Ford looks more likely. Like maybe the Ford was avoiding something, or missed a corner and ran up on the Dodge. There is a skid mark that looks like it's from the left front tire of the Ford on the pavement as well.

Mostly though, I can't figure how it happened more than that guess.

That is my theory given the fact that the passenger side of the Ford is caved in..

Guest mikeburch

We may never know the identy of the car in the air.

The bumper looks like a '33-'34 Ford, but the hubcap looks to be 1936.

There was an aftermarket "spoke cover", that made the '33-'35 Fords, to look more modern.

Perhaps the car owner had those on his car. It looks like there might be spokes behind that cap.

mikeburch

We may never know the identy of the car in the air.

The bumper looks like a '33-'34 Ford, but the hubcap looks to be 1936.

There was an aftermarket "spoke cover", that made the '33-'35 Fords, to look more modern.

Perhaps the car owner had those on his car. It looks like there might be spokes behind that cap.

mikeburch

I think you narrowed it down very well. It's not a 36 because Ford went to steel wheels then so the need for spoke covers weren't needed. If you get a good look at the chassis of the Ford by the bumper, you''l notice the "chin" of the radiator sheet metal is visible. The 34 was pointed and the 35 is squared as it is in the photo.

The car is a 1935 Ford. Does anyone want to venture on to the body style and trim level?

I think you narrowed it down very well. It's not a 36 because Ford went to steel wheels then so the need for spoke covers weren't needed. If you get a good look at the chassis of the Ford by the bumper, you''l notice the "chin" of the radiator sheet metal is visible. The 34 was pointed and the 35 is squared as it is in the photo.

The car is a 1935 Ford. Does anyone want to venture on to the body style and trim level?

The Dodge looks like a coupe to me since the rear window looks like it's fairly close to the front of the car. The Ford looks to be a tudor or coupe although there is no way to tell as far as I can see. I would imagine that it would be a lot easier to ride up onto a coupe than it would be to ride up onto a sedan.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)