Advice on rear Shock Absorbers - 1937 GM Pontiac - what kind?

GarageStudios

Team,

Just need some advice on what type of rear Shock Absorbers I would user to replace my oems, poor things have no support, and I would like to keep the car as original as possible; realizing that parts change and safety is #1. My originals, have no labels, are an orange / red colour... as long as the size (both compressed and expanded measured) matches, would replicas work? would current ones really affect the value? Gas, oil? etc...

This weekend, I made huge progress, made a home body dolly from pallet racking, able to move the body around while I work on the frame... cleaning, painting everything, frame up restoration!!!

post-74294-143142457731_thumb.jpg

Edited by CDN224 (see edit history)

Guest Commodore

Team,

I measured these shocks... Fully extended, is 24" end to end, or 23 3/4 eyelet hole centre to centre... Expanded... Compressed, it measures 15" or 13 3/4".... Does that help, there is no readable markers on the shocks... A faint model number 34248 xxxx-Matic, made in Canada... Colour is gm orange

Edited by CDN224 (see edit history)

• 5 months later...

GM was using tube shocks in 1937?!? Shouldn't it have lever-action shocks bolted to the brake backing plates? The tube shocks must have been retrofitted at some point in the past--I don't think they were used on cars until the '50s. But maybe I'm wrong and Pontiac was ahead of the curve.

Can anyone confirm?