1991 3.0 mitsubishi engine

Guest hickoryboy

Guest hickoryboy

I have looked numerious places and got different ans. Is the 3.0 engine an interference engine? I am conserned about changing the timing belt.Never been changed to my knowledge 52000 miles.

Thanks

I have looked numerious places and got different ans. Is the 3.0 engine an interference engine? I am conserned about changing the timing belt.Never been changed to my knowledge 52000 miles.

Thanks

Never hurts to replace a 20 year old timing belt and though the motor is non interference, repair away from home, or a two hundred mile tow can be very inconvenient should it break. For some peace of mind pull your inspection cover to check the belt for cracks and wear, if it looks good push your fingernail hard into it to see how deep a dent you can make and how quick it recovers.

When and if you change the belt, you should also do the waterpump and all the small pieces while it's open and easy.

Guest StudeDude 01

Bill---the TC used the 2 valve 3.0 engine, so it is definitely a non-interference engine. The 4 valve units were used in the Dodge Stealth and various Mitsu models over the years.