A Packard limo identification

Guest Peter Panov

Guest Peter Panov

Dear Sirs,

I am new to the forum and I live in Bulgaria (Eastern Europe). Keeping in mind that the country where I live was behind the Iron Curtain until 1989 and that it is located far away from the US, the Packards here are very rare. For about 20 years of searching here I have found about 20 Packards in total, one of which (a '53 model year) is a fresh import from the US. So as you probably guess it is pretty difficult to find information about Packard vehicles in my country.

There is one car here that needs total restoration, but I think it probably is an interesting and rare one, because it is a limo. It is approx '36-'38 year model according to me.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b534/moparfomocogm/44766661_3_800x600_zps035c4b3d.jpg

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b534/moparfomocogm/44766661_2_800x600_zpsf22aa2e4.jpg

Can anybody recognize what is the model? Is it a rare one and is it possible to find parts for it? It has only what you see on it plus a running straight eight engine.

Thank you very much for your time to help me with info about this car.

Regards,

Peter

Edited by Peter Panov (see edit history)

Looks like a '39 model 1705 to me - and there is at least one more '39 owner in Bulgaria, Georgi Kalinov - might you know him? Most parts for that car are available and can be found - and the car deserves to live, especially if the engine runs...lemme know how I can help, I have a complete parts car for this model.

Guest Peter Panov

Wow thank you flackmaster. It is good to know that you have a parts car from this model. Unfortunately all the trim is missing. In fact the car has only what you see in photos. The engine is running I was told. Thank you for the name of the Bulgarian guy. I guess I will find him easy here. Is he a forum member? What is his nick?

Wow thank you flackmaster. It is good to know that you have a parts car from this model. Unfortunately all the trim is missing. In fact the car has only what you see in photos. The engine is running I was told. Thank you for the name of the Bulgarian guy. I guess I will find him easy here. Is he a forum member? What is his nick?

Yes it a 39, 1040 has small grill

nice antique car

The side of the hood is a bit different and for 1938 the center windshield brightwork went up onto the roof by several inches. 1938 also had exposed trunk hinges while they were hidden starting in 1939 and there may have been some slight differences on the headlights. On this car, though, these things are not at all clear so I suppose it could be either one.

Sorry. I guess I was unclear with my question. I know most of the differences between 1938 and 1939 Packards when they are complete. I was wondering how one could tell ON THIS CAR if it's a 1938 or 1939. It goes without saying that it's not a 1940.

Neither 1938 or 1939 had fender parking lights, and I think their grille shells were identical too. Without the windshield and trim in place, and without being able to see if there are holes for side trim, I think the only way one could tell on this car (based on the two photos linked) is possibly the side hood opening, since '38 had 5 individual louvers (I don't think that translates into 5 individuals holes stamped in the hood, however, but 'm not extremely familiar with how they look without the grilles attached. I do know that when I Google search, I see two different types of hoods on 1938 Packard Super Eights???).

Thanks for your patience with my questions. Just trying to learn.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

On THIS CAR the glove that fits is a 1705 on account of the holes for the side trim combined with the hood sides to differentiate it from a 1602. And from an 1805/1808, the grille shell and lack of fender lights. More detailed photos (or the data plate) would confirm its birthright, but I believe these birthmarks are clear. I will leave the parking light issue aside as optional fender lights were available thru 39 for all series, as well as the multitude of cars retrofitted with sealed beams and 40 parking lights by dealers promoting sealed beams....

• 1 month later...
Guest Grigsby

Dear Peter,

This could well be a 1938/39 packard ckeck the wheel base it should be 148 inches, I am wondering if there might be a chance the owner might be interested in selling it?

Regards

Garry

Guest Grigsby

Dear Peter,

Another bit of info towards identity of the packard, from memory I think you will find 38 uses a floor mounted gear shift and in 39 went on to a steering column shift. Also the steel identity plate mounted on the firewall / bulkhead in 38 for that year only, was paper or card. For 39 they went back to the metal plate format.

Regards

Garry