Buick retired the 3.8 and did the intake gasket go with it?

rjfranken

Reason I ask I'm looking at a 07 Lucerne with 95K miles (with Ventiports as only a Buick should) and it has the 3800 series III the L26. Now in Buick circles it's not said "Oh and I had to replace the intake gasket" but "Have you changed the intake gasket yet". Now this engine has the Aluminum intake manifold; is that in itself going to change the rhetoric? Or has the use of the 3.9 put that out to pasture? Or does GM just make rotten gaskets? 95K is a Magic number for a lot of things.

Please and thank you

Bob

I got some extra Reatti for EZ sale

GM engines had a lot of IMG problems from the mid-90s to 2003 or so. Both V6s and V8s. I've had it replaced once in my Suburban and just did it a second time in my Rendezvous. (The RDV only has 105K miles.) I've seen it blamed on Dexcool, the gasket materials, and the automated manufacturing process. Whichever it is, it is indicative of the problems the 'old GM' had that it could go on for years, cost their customers so much money, and not be addressed...

I think by 2007 the problems were mostly behind them though.

My 98 lost the gasket at 80000 mi replaced with an after market gasket that has a metal sleeve where the egr valve goes through it because heat melted the plastic causing leak, now have 266626 mi and no problems, except body of car is going away fast.

Al