1963 Dynaflow Transmisson Question (Bear with me kinda long post)

Guest mtn

My 63 was put up for winter in October and at that time I made sure all the fluids were topped off. After sitting for approximately 4 months, I was showing it to a friend in my shop. I noticed a puddle under it and upon further inspection it was transmission fluid. So I thought, damn the tranny is probably leaking at the seals from sitting. It has always leaked a little when it is driven more than a hundred miles or so at 1 go. No big deal just gets warm and leaks a little, typical Dynaflow. I thought I would check it before firing it up. This where things get askew. Last weekend I pop the hood and check it before attempting to start it. The car had not been run for 4.5 months the trany fluid showed a quart over full? I thought hmm was barley full when warm when I put her up. Odd. Today I finally decided to wake it up from its winter slumber and had to jump it, no biggie. As I'm leting her warm up I am listening for any weird noises and heard none. So I climb in and check for brake operation and just general readiness before trying to put it gear and back up. Everything seems like a go so I drop it all the way back to reverse and back it out of the shop. So far so good. Check for leaks see none and drive it through the field to the driveway. It all seems ok so off I go on a little drive to the car wash.

When I get in the bay before I shut her down I am on flat level ground in park idling and check the tranny fluid now that it is warm. Here's where I am confused I figured it would now be way overfilled and am thinking about draing some fluid when I get home, but nope now shows just at the add 1pt line on the dipstick?????? What the heck is going on here? Could the torque converter have drained off?? Anybody have any ideas? I am all ears.....

Guest Kaber

I would guess the Converter drained as well. My turbos do that and leak anywhere they can. So far the Dyna flow in the Riv has not done that, Knock on wood....

My '68 ST400 does the same thing when stored. The tranny fluid drains from the converter, overfills the pan and seeps by the rear transmission extension seal.

A little less than a pint per season. Quite common for ST400's that are stored for extended periods - just top it up and motor on.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I hope that it was just the converter and I will keep everyone posted. Ed are going to the swap meet in lathrop this weekend?

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I hope that it was just the converter and I will keep everyone posted. Ed are going to the swap meet in lathrop this weekend?
'

I didn't know there was one or I would have planned on it. As is, we've made plans to go to my sister's out near Hutchinson. There are a couple of 1st generation Rivs in a local salvage yard that I'm going to take a look at. Are you in need of anything?

Ed sorry it took so long for me to reply here. I came down with work and stomach flu! I don't need anything but boy do I have wants!!!

I took a look at the cars on Monday in the snow; not quite like the 75* day it was when we left Sat. morning. Anyway, the cars are pretty well stripped of most of the "desirable" stuff" but the bodies, floors, and trunk floors seem to be in really good shape. I came home with nothing for my efforts. Central Kansas is pretty dry and sandy, the ground doesn't stay wet and with no humidity, everything else dries out pretty fast.

Ed